1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cables

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gillykid, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

After messing around with a mates HTPC, I dedicded to use one for my Panny AE500 Projector.

Computer builds aren't a problem, but I am confused about one thing though.

Is a DVI cable going to give a much better quality picture than a standard SVGA?

Please dont flame me :D

Cheers

G

2. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes it will,I've tested with a SVGA to a Lindy DVI 1.1 pixel mapping and the difference in picture quality is worthwhile.
    have also tested with a 10m Lindy and a 9m Better Cables DVI-D from Joe @Media Factory and again if you can warrant the price the improvement in PQ is again quite noticeable.
    Rob

3. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so how much am I looking at for a decent DVI cable?

Also, what about non-movie stuff, such as browsing, is this still better with DVI?

4. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The 9m Better Cables DVI-D was about £160 :blush:
    There are others of similar quality but most need to be imported from USA ie Cobalt etc.Having tried the cheap 10m Lindy I was getting sparklies and what seemed like noise(using a Radeon 9500 Pro) so was really left with no alternative but to buy a quality cable.
    With regards to browsing the difference was more noticeable with text now being pin sharp using the DVI cable.
    So I suppose if you want best PQ DVI is the best route for the AE500.Also in the process of trying component but my Van Damme cable hasn't arrived gonna see how PQ compares between component and DVI.
    Rob