Cables too hot ?

ojock

Hi,

Hope someone can help a DIY novice

Just for background info:

The plasterboard in my house is attached to concrete blocks using the dab&dob method, I will be mounting my plasma above the fireplace mantelpiece using 8*M10*100mm expanding wall bolts to secure. I’ve measured the temperature at where the plasma will seat and there isn’t a problem with heat, I guess with the decorative mantelpiece sticking out quite a bit it seems to help to act as a deflector.

However, I’ve chased a channel for the cables down the middle of the wall from the plasma and found that when I touched the exposed bricks with the fire on full, it was certainly very hot, not enough to burn me but had to take my hand off within a few seconds.

So now I’m concerned about the wires getting too hot. I had plan to use white trunking from B&Q, would that be enough to protect them ? If not, is there something that will help ?

Cheers

Peter

tamthetim

Novice Member
ojock

you might be better asking about the cables under the cables section of the forum.

i think the blocks are acting like storage heaters (which contain blocks) they absorb heat and can hold it for a fair length of time, especially if yours are light weight aerated concrete blocks.

also watch out if you have a full chimney breast and your drilling 100mm through, can end up through to it, lots of nasty gases etc., ok if its just a balanced flue straight through.

cheers,tam

ojock

tamthetim said:
ojock

also watch out if you have a full chimney breast and your drilling 100mm through, can end up through to it, lots of nasty gases etc., ok if its just a balanced flue straight through.

cheers,tam
Tam,

Thanks for that, I hadn't even considered this safety aspect, I'll double check tonight. I don't think I have a full chimney breast, never even thought of looking, but will do now.

Regards

Peter

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG SN7CY Soundbar Review, Hisense 55U7Q, LG Nano90, Best of the Month, B+W Sigourney Weaver
Top Bottom