1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cables test

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Silent Fly, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a recent thread "Digital Optical Cables" is taking place an on going discussion regarding the cost of the cables and the benefits in terms of sound quality. I have the feeling that the discussion will go on forever.

In order to create even more doubts :) I would like to organise a (blind) test in order to verify if there is a real difference between cheap, expensive and DIY cables.

The aim is to test the following cables:

A) Expensive
    B) Cheap (e.g. Dixons)
    C) DIY

With the following connections:

1) Digital coax from DVD to AV/Receiver - Dolby Digital
    2) Digital coax from DVD to AV/Receiver - DTS
    3) CD player to amplifier
    4) AV/Receiver to speakers (multi-ch)
    5) Amplifier to speakers (stereo)

To organise the test we need the following:

1 hi-end CD player, DVD player, AMP, speakers
    2 or more golden-ear listener
    1 set of cables type A)
    1 set of cables type B)
    1 set of cables type C)

Anyone interested? Any idea?

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I am intregued by the idea, but the very fact you are doing a blind test indicates to me that the cables sound the same to you, if that's the case i'd just buy the cable you feel most comfortable with rather than worrying what it sounds like.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I've never been able to tell the difference between digital cables, whether they be optical or coax. Admittedly, the very basic cables do sound a little worse for wear (under £10, for a broad price point) but after that - I can't tell. I actually have a Chord Company digital coax cable that would have cost £55 had I not managed to get it for half price, and it isn't any different to 1/2 of an £18 pair of interconnects.

Russell.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have all the gear you need and some but I am simply too far away to help but I always enjoy this stuff :D

Connection 1 and 2 won't show much as DD / DTS are much more resistant to cable canges.

3 will be the killer especially for PCM stereo (CD), less so with 24 / 96

I am not sure I understand 4, 5. What are you trying to do here

Don't forget cables are only part of the jitter problem so you will be looking at a small part of a larger problem. Now it gets really interesting when you remove the SPDIF connection.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    How exactly can a cable introduce jitter? Does one pulse travel down the cable slightly faster or slower than the next one?

6. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cybersoga,

You almost read my mind:eek: :D. That is exacly what I do. However, I do not have an hi-end kit to do the test and more important I am a very curious person :D

7. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a nutshell, I would like to see if there is any difference between Maplin £1/m cables and hi-end cables.

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nicholas,

I read somewhere, about a cientist that doubted there is any difference, until he "discovered" jitter, he described it as electrons bouncing from the "walls" of the cable, among other things...

And digital cables do sound different, I tried 3, Audioquest, Ecosse and Siltech, the Ecosse was noticeably worst, maybe not burn-in, the other two where similar, with slight detail and space advantage for the Siltech, but it costs 4 times...

9. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you do a blind test?

10. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I didn´t, but the wife did, as she didn´t know that I had changed them, and she imediately said the sound was "dead", when I tried the Ecosse...

She didn´t care about the Siltech as much, as she is most sensible to timbre differences...

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Nice one that,Lowrider,using the wife as part of a blind testing arrangement!.......works much the same in my household,as she who must be obeyed reckons if she can hear the difference it has to be worth buying! :)
    The opposite also holds true of course.....if she cant hear the difference,I'd better have a good reason for wanting the new piece of gear when I could be buying a perfectly decent thing for her!

12. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    She has golden ears, as far as timbre goes, so many times I was testing cables, saying how much stage and detail where improved, and she would just tell me this sound stinks...

And she was right, I was just paying attention to what I expected to improve, and lost the general picture... :rolleyes: