• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cables required for Sky HD

lozfuller

Standard Member
I'm just about to order Sky HD and hope the dreaded lip sync problems don't affect me........

I'll be purchasing a Panasonic PX80 Plasma - do I just need an HDMI lead to connect the HD Box to the Plasma, or is this just for the picture? If the latter, what type of cable am I best buying for the audio connection, co-axial or optical?

Any recommendations on specific cables here, bearing in mind that I assume being digital, big money is not required. I only require 1 metre lengths.

Thanks

bobcar

Distinguished Member
The box comes with an HDMI lead so you don't need to buy anything.

NWhiteley

Established Member
SkyHD doesn't allow DD through HDMI, you will need to use an optical cable aswell, then you will have to configure your TV/Amp to use HDMI for video and optical for sound.

Boon72

Established Member
to stop the lip sync problems you just need to set up the delay thru the sky box.

mine is set to 120ms

NWhiteley

Established Member
Dolby Digital, which is used mainly on the HD channels.

By the way, the SkyHD box only outputs standard 2 channel stereo through HDMI.

RayP

Prominent Member
to stop the lip sync problems you just need to set up the delay thru the sky box.

mine is set to 120ms

Aarrgghh! Doesn't everyone know by now that the lip-sync problem cannot be resolved by this setting? You only make it worse since the sound is already delayed.

Boon72

Established Member
well it worked for my sound

RayP

Prominent Member

Coffin

Distinguished Member
I have had recent lip sync issues on some channels, rather than all channels.

Is this the known issue with SkyHD and lip sync? Or is the sync issue generally seen to be across all channels?

RayP

Prominent Member
I have had recent lip sync issues on some channels, rather than all channels.

Is this the known issue with SkyHD and lip sync? Or is the sync issue generally seen to be across all channels?

Only some HD channels are affected. Primarily BBC HD and C4 HD. SD so far seems okay.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom