Question Cables - help?!

TJDK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi hope this posting is ok - not sure where else to look to be honest. I am sorting out all of my late husband's home cinema/av/hifi equipment and I have about 2 plastic crates of various cables that I have no idea about. They are mostly good quality - that mattered to him - and lots are the gold plated type and professional grade. I don't know what to do with them, or how to go about selling them, or if there is a market for them.

I am tearing my hair out now trying to google them all but am losing the will to live! Can anyone suggest how I might best sell them?

Thanks - and apologies if this is not the right place to put this question.

Do the cables have any markings on them to help identify them?

You could lay them out neatly on the floor (curled up with lengths and ends visible) and take a photo so you can sell them on ebay or post them here in the projector or tv forum (or speaker forum if there are speaker cables too) and see if anyone can help identify and value them. If you're not bothered about how much you get for them, you could start the biding low on ebay. Buyer collects might be easier/simpler but if you have suitable boxes/packing, you could find out delivery and then the whole country has the opportunity to bid.

Thank you, I am currently surrounded by them all laid out on the table/floor! There are some markings on some but I can't fully identify them even with google. I'm beginning to think of just putting them all in one box and sending them for scrap!

You could do that - certainly a lot quicker and simpler! You've probably got enough to do on top of this anyway.

Or you could bung them in a box and put them in the classifieds here for a song and get the buyer to collect.

If you upload some photos of some of them on here showing the markings and connectors then it will be possible to give you a view as to what they're worth. Wouldn't like to see you give stuff away that could be worth a lot of money but do appreciate that you might not want to spend too much time on dealing with cables.

Thanks I will try and do that tomorrow - thank you.

Well, I'm intrigued by your big box of cables :)

Arr... in Kent... there be treasure :D

Good luck with this.

If you are selling/passing on the Hi-Fi/AV gear the person who takes the kit on may require some or all of the cables!

With most folk going 'digital' a lot of cables have become obsolete - we have a fair few big box's of what were once expensive cables which now have little or no value sitting around.

Anything which was purchased more than say five years ago will have little 'value' though could be useful to the right person.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom