Cables Help Required for KEF

umairlashari

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I recently bought KEF q7's, q3's and q9c for setting up my surround system. I have onkyo tx-nr609 av receiver.
Now I am really confused about the cables.
I had QED qx 16/2 in mind. Or shall I go for chord.?? Or recommend me some other.
Shall I biwire the speakers. Does it make any difference on the KEF sound. I listen to classics and classic rock.
Can you give me an idea of roughly how much cable will be required. My room dimensions are 20*15

Regards

Use string and a tape measure to assess how much cable you require.

Don't sweat it regarding QED/Chord- it will make no difference. VanDamme Blue is a popular, cost-effective alternative that will do just as good a job.

Last edited:
scatterbug said:

Don't sweat it regarding QED/Chord- it will make no difference. VanDamme Blue is a popular, cost-effective alternative that will do just as good a job.

Is it as good as QED or chord ?
Secondly kindly guide me if I should biwire them.

Hey i dont know if you should bi-wire or not, that can be a hit or miss thing tbh with sound quality, when people mention it it often leads on to talk of bi-amping.

As for cable chord is ok but seems to get mixed reviews by users on its sound quality. Some say it brings the system alive, others say its nothing special.

QED you need to be careful of as its a very bright cable so its very trebly, lots of twang. Im not too sure how bright your speakers are though.

Van Damme Blue are popular on here. Well constructed and quite neutral, however still fairly expensive.

Another option is cheap oxygen free cable off the likes of ebay. Get more copper for your money which is what you need. Expensive cable you tend to get less copper and you pay a premium for brand name and the trademark insulation technology they have.

Quite a sweeping statement there.... whether 'expensive' cables really make a difference or not in your opinion, there is a marked difference in sound between QED, Chord and VanDamme!

Scott_Mac said:
Quite a sweeping statement there.... whether 'expensive' cables really make a difference or not in your opinion, there is a marked difference in sound between QED, Chord and VanDamme!

Agreed id even say cable is 1/4 of the sound.

Others being amp, player, speakers.

Cable has lots of different characteristics like different amps do.

One of my favourite demo pieces to listen to is sultans of swing by Dire Straits and i mist of heard it sound different about 3 times now lol

I prefer 'Private Investigations' from said same band - just for the bit where it goes quiet and you get the footsteps walking along...

Scott_Mac said:
I prefer 'Private Investigations' from said same band - just for the bit where it goes quiet and you get the footsteps walking along...

Then you forget what your meant to be doing and you throw on money for nothing and out comes the air guitar.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom