1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cables help please.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by evolution400, Apr 5, 2005.

1. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Much improvement upgrading leads ?
    I have some over priced monster cable for all my speakers however I havent purchased any uprate leads except for a profigold DVI lead for my HCPC to TV.
    I have 2 cheap optical leads which are used 1 for my HCPC and 2 for my freeview, both are quite thin. I have a RGB > SVIDEO lead which again is the usual cheap spec black free with system. Cheap black free scart with freeview.
    Would I notice an improvemnt if I was to get a better quality cable for the video and the digital sound ?
    If so what cable would you recomend ?
    Place to buy online ?
    Brands that are good etc.
    I know currys stock JVD cables are they very good or overpriced ?
    Thor cables ?
    And retailers comets currys etc that stock them.
    Thanks in advance.
    Evo.

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    You may get some mileage from better SCART leads - however, IMO, unless you are getting dropouts (clicks/pops etc which aren't due to the fridge clicking on and off), then I wouldn't bother about the optical leads TBH.

While crappy video leads can certainly be improved upon, you can very soon get into the realms of diminishing returns here - the biggest limiting factor on the performance may well be the design of the SCART plug and socket itself, and while better made examples can help, a SCART plug is still a SCART plug at the end of the day!

As to how much to spend - well that's a personal decision, but IF you buy from the right places, a fiver can get you a decent 1.5m SCART lead. It won't have a brand name on it, nor any fancy packaging, and almost certainly no glowing magazine reviews though - if that kind of thing floats your boat :)
    I've never used Thor cables, but most of the comments I've read about them seem fairly positive (I think they are overpriced personally though)

BTW, I make my own, so maybe I'm a cheat !! :)

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Not wishing to start another 'what cable war' IMHO I can't tell the difference between cheap and cheerful optical and expensive ones. The one from my freeview cost about £3 I think. No problems what so ever. As for the Scarts? Thor don't seem bad but then nor do John Lewis own brand (About £12.00) You could probably pay more and get a lot better. Depends on how fussy you are. Try www.tvcables.co.uk for a start.