1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cables for the panasonic viera pe 30 help needed :)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sanj666, Aug 27, 2004.

1. sanj666

sanj666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Got my plasma delivered on tuesday, however the picture quality suck on both dvd (kiss DP 500) and sky plus playback! I think this may be something to do with the cables im using.

Can anyone suggest a good make of cable for scart, svideo and rgb.
    Also approximate prices and where to buy it from.

ALso what is the best way to connect the dvd player to tv ? Scart or svideo or component? According to previous posts should connect it to av4, and the skyplus to av1 via scart.

Also does the tv automatically recognise the dvd is outputting a progessive scan picture, or is there a special setting somewhere.

Also was wondering what is the minimum distance one should seperate the amp and dvd player from the tv to avoid electric intereference.

Thanks for your help

ps what are those ferrite cores for? should they be on the power cables or on the scart etc leads

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Ok.
    lets see if I can help. got my viera the other day as well but I am quite up on the cable issue so here goes.
    for sky a fully wired scart lead will give you a good rgb picture in av 1.
    I have found after a bit of experimentaion that componnet will give the best picture for dvd then rgb then svideo. depending on what your player is capable of out putting try it using the order I have stated.
    all your cabeling needs can be found here.

cables

I have used this company and would recomend them. they are also one of the forum sponsers.

Any cable by QED, THOR, IXOS, should improve your picture quality if you are just using cheapo leads.
    Also take the picture setting off of dynamic and set every thing about half way, colour, contrast ect. the Plasma needs to "run in" for around 100 hours before optimum setting. this will help prevent screen burn .
    Also remeber picture quality does depend on what you feed in to the thing. A top of the line dvd player with pal and ntsc progresive scan hooked up with good componet leads(as I have recently learnt) will give you a great movie watching experince. hope this helps.

DAve.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    1) I don't believe alternative cables will make any difference at all.
    (the hifi $$$ cable ripoff has moved to TV)
    2) Ferrite cores usually go on VGA cables.
    3) Sky looks nasty on plasma, live with it or try a RGB SCART to component converter
    http://www.js-technology.com/rgb-yuv/index.htm

4. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have had my viera for 300 hours (usage) do not worry at the moment as when i first switched on piture was dreadfull. Take advise and save yourself hours of searching for advise and do not use the dynmic piture setting for at least 200 hours if at tall ,use normal for tv and cinema for dvd and reduce
    contrast below half way mark for first 100 -200 hours.Fit ferite cores if you are suffering from interference or as a precaution . i like david appreciate good cabling as i use high end naim av and audio equipment but this does not
    mean wasting money i use for rgb £125 chord scart cable and mark grant £50
    componant cable which i auditioned with a friends £210 nordost componant cable using my viera and his dreamvision plasmas and pioneer 668avs and 868 dvd players there was nothing in it.Piture quality now with good materail is excellent but with bad quality rubbish.
    regards red.

5. sanj666

sanj666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply

stunned at cable prices, being an amateur at high end tv prodcts :)

guess will have to bite the bullet and spend a couple of hundred on decent cable.

internet is the cheapest place to buy i guess??

6. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    san ,
    search these forums for mark grant cables and if your dvd player has componant £50 is a bargain regards red

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Quality SCART cables cost £10
    good SCART cables are £5
    (not that any SCART cable is ever that good, cos the sockets on the equipment are the weakest link) If you have all that spare money to waste, just send it to me!

8. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    san
    there is a clear visable improvement between a mark grant componant cable £50 and a chord rgb scart £125 with my pioneer 668 /viera less piture noise superior colours so use componant firstly if you can.(there are further improvements when turned to progressive scan but this is unfair comparasion)
    there is about the same improvment using the chord scart to a £10 scart as used by pj . the better your kit the more improvement you will see so if your dvd player is less than £600 you will probally see less improvements with the cables, i only mention the mark grant cable because it rates with cables in the £100-£200 range ihave done back to back demos myself
    regards red

9. sanj666

sanj666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting.......however my dvd player only outputs svideo or scart....so i think I will probably go for a scart to compents cable for the dvd and a rgb scart for sky

thanks for the help everyone

10. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    san
    i do not have sky its principil thing but its my understanding that the bitrates used by sky are poor so may want to go rgb/vga especailly as freeview
    built in is very good
    regards red

11. sanj666

sanj666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i tried some "good quality scart" monster mv3 i bought off ebay for £30 retails at £60 and I have to say i agree with PJ very little improvement. Sky really is using far too much compression for plasma.

When connected to dvd though does look better

12. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Sanj,

Out of interest have you set your Sky+ box to RGB output as opposed to standard PAL TV output? Additionally are your existing SCART cables fully wired cables? i.e. RGB SCART leads have the full 21 pins in the sockets, if it looks like there are a whole bunch of pins missing then the cable is a composite type and near the bottom of the food chain as far as picture quality is concerned.

As stated by others above, the Viera can only accept progressive signals via the component sockets (3 RCA phono plugs, AV4C).

Generally speaking best picture quality is obtained via component and worst is composite...

Progressive Component > Interlaced Component > RGB SCART > S-Video > Composite (either SCART or single yellow RCA phono plug) > RF Aerial

S.