• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Cables for Tannoy D500

nubo2015

Novice Member
Dear all,
I am looking for (nice, sufficient or perfect) cables to connect my recently acquired Tannoy D500 powered by an amp Sansui au-317 ii. The sound I have is very impressive (with cheap QED, 4 metres X 0,74mm2), but I'm new to hi-fi and would like to test the limits of the quality that I can get with this system by improving the speaker cables and perhaps even interconnecters (both for the CD and for the Chromecast audio).
Can some of you give me advice on cables, length or other things I should keep in mind to improve the system. I use an interesting option in another system called DCSK (2x10metres X 6mm2) with nice results (at least for my inexperience ear) and very good aestectics in the room.
Thank you.
Best regards,
Nuno

nubo2015

Novice Member
ah it would be wonderfull if someone could tip me on a 5 metres long jack 3,5mm and 2 RCA to directly connect my laptop. There is an annoying 5 second delay using SoundCast...

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Speaker cable - other than increasing the gauge of the conductors (if you have a high power amp) a different cable is not going to add anything to your system.

Try out your heavier gauge cable with the Tannoys.

Signal cable can make small differences - VanDamme or similar will supply a 5m, 3.5mm to 2RCA cable.

Be wary of over stressing the 3.5mm socket on your Laptop - you may want to consider a short adapter cable then add on a 5m 2RCA (female) to 2RCA (male) cable.

Joe

nubo2015

Novice Member
Dear Joe,
Thank you for your useful insights. I will follow your suggestion regarding the speaker cable and report back.
I believe that with "over stressing" the 3.5mm laptop socket, you refer to my lap movements and so on, right?
Sorry for the newbie question but do you think there could be any signal loss by having a short adapter cable then add on a 5m 2RCA (female) to 2RCA (male) cable? I mean in relation to the signal received from a factory-made 5 metres long jack 3,5mm and 2 RCA.
Best regards,
Nuno

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I consider 2.5mm (or pushing the boat out 4mm) cable made out of copper and not crappy CCA (Copper Clad Aluminium) to be the standard. For speakers. IMO going mad with thicker cable or even cables impregnated with snake oil is pointless.

I'm an electrician and also from Yorkshire so I've used either T&E 2.5mm solid cable or 2.5mm flex for all of my various speaker Connections.

I remember reading a story about Quad demoing some speakers at a HiFi show using a lawn mower extension cable as speaker cable, apparently a fair few show visitors were clamouring to buy the new fancy orange speaker cables ☺

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Vs a failed 3.5mm socket I'd go with a short flexible cable every time.

Joe

PS If you happen to have a Macbook another option is Optical.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Funnily enough I use 1.5 T&E for my rears

nubo2015

Novice Member
Thank you all for your replies and sharing your knowledge.
I will report back to you in February, when I return to my D500 (I'm currently abroad), and after I experiment a bit on my cables.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom