1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cables for in and out on Deon 3803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stevie S, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to invest in the Denon AVR3803 and Denon 2900. These will be connected to an NEC 42VP4 plasma. I understand the 3803 has a video uplink which means only one cable to the screen. I assume that I should use the component connection for best picture?

Am I right in thinking I should also use a component connection out of the 2900 dvd into the component connection on the receiver? What about the sky+ to receiver connection? Sky+ offers SCART and s-video? What's the best way to go with this? Is there such a thing as a lead with SCART on one end and RGB component connections on the other?

Finally, anyone care to recommend cables for any of these tasks?

Excuse my ignorance - any advice welcome!
    Stevie

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could either plug the s-video from sky + into the avr3803 or
    get a rgb to yuv converter www.rgbtosvideo.com

hope this helps

3. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, will look into that. I assume using a convertor should give a better picture than s-video?

Also, I am a little confused over progressive scan, which is supported by the screen and the DVD player. Does progressive scan work via RGB component?

Stevie

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as long as your plasma can take a progressive signal and i`m sure your nec can then use the progressive scan output (component) on the denon 2900 . you should get a great picture

5. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great. Thanks again.

That convertor looks like an expensive option. I may just use the s-video for now and see how it goes.

stevie

6. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I use prog scan out of 3800 into 3803, then to projector, lovely picture, not discernible difference from direct.

I use scart rgb out of normal sky box into letropacks scart to s-video convertor (should have bought JSims, oh well). when fed to projector it was an awful picture. Now the S-vid is going into the 3803, the picture is cleaned up nice and lovely.

also do xbox prog scan into 3803 and out, no probs.

and composite from vhs player, although even the 3803 can't make that look nice :(

7. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Looks like s-video should be OK. How do you hook up the xbox, by the way?

Stevie

8. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I bought a US NTSC xbox, and microsofts advanced cable, which offers component out and digital optical for surround sound. these both then go into the 3803.

I 'believe' you can get progressive from a PAL box by using one of the video discs...