1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cables for everything!?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rsvrmille, Jul 21, 2003.

1. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now, the pc is up and almost running (see sapphire graphics card thread) and i have a couple of quesitons left

1. I take it I need a digital audio cable from the dvd to the soundcard for best sound, unfortunately the Lite-on DVD player i bought only came with the analogue one. Where can I get a decent digital one from.

2. I also need a good quality cable for the digital out from the audigy 2 card I bought. Any suggestions?

3. While I am at it, what is the best DVI-DVI cable to buy and where can i get it from?

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    You shouldn't need any additional connection to the souncard the data will pass over the PCI bus in some magical fashion. Go into the drive properties and enable digital output for the dvd drive.

Depends what you are outputting and inputting to your amp? Spdif/coax using a decent phono lead will work fine . For optical buy a decent quality toslink cable,

Don't use dvi sorry.

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Don't worry about the internal digital audio connection between the drive and the sound card, it's an old function that's never used. All the data you need is transferred via the IDE and PCI interfaces.

if the audigy has coaxial output then someting like this would be fine. They also do optical leads if that's what you need.

Can't help with no. 3 I'm afraid.

Owain

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  5. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i have onboard sound with spdif optical out (which i do) should i use this or the sound out on the audigy 2? Will there be any difference in sound quality? The audigy2 has a 3.5m digital out jack.

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
  7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    I guess you'll just have to try and see without knowing anything about your onboard sound. I suspect teh audigy might be better btu then again you might not be able to tell the difference : certainly for DD,DTS playback ....CD might be another story: look for 48khz upsampling for furtehr info on this.

8. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,770
    Hello fellow biker ;)

I'd agree with Mr.D and say the Audigy would probably be better than your onboard sound.

9. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, went to maplin last night, got a 3.5m to phono converter
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Products/Mo...ID=030812092857889&moduleno=34197&modulelist=

Plugged this into the digital out from the audigy, connected using a coaxil(sp?) to the coax digital in on the amp (sony strb 930).

The sound comes through as 96khz PCM which is good but it only comes through in stereo and the amp will not pickup the 5.1 encoding for some reason. I have the soundcard set to output digital sound only and it is set to 5.1 speakers. What gives?

this hcpc lark is sooo frustrating:mad:

10. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Is it the software DVD player itself needs setting?
    I use Power DVD and have to set it on a menu to use SPDIF output to pass the DD signal direct from the player to the Optical/Co-Ax output. (Built in on motherboard)

11. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think you may be right. will check at home tonight. pain in the arse only having internet access at work :(

thx for the help. I've got powerDVD xp 4