1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cables for entire system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by db-bass, Sep 7, 2005.

1. db-bass

db-bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will shortly be getting a yamaha 657 receiver. i need to decide on whether to either get 4 athena bookshelfs or the fluance sx-htb system. a subwoofer will have to wait a bit.
    for now i am just trying to figure out how much im going to have to spend on cables, so please let me know every type of cable the usual surround system takes and approx. price.
    also any ideas about speakers, which option should i go with (from above) or do you have other suggestions. thanks for the help

2. DLau

DLau
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A good approximate guide is 10% of what you spend on the system should be spent on cables.

Hope that helps.

Darren

3. Will35

Will35
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi db-bass,

Not sure this is in the right area, so anyone, feel free to move it. It's also a bit long, but I think it covers everything!!

Cables:

SCART
    Carries pictures and analogue sound from system to screen. RGB Scart gives the best pictures

COMPOSITE VIDEO
    Average-quality cable for carrying pictures from system to screen. Not recommended.

SPEAKER CABLES
    Try to spend at least 5% of your budget on these. One-box systems include them.

PHONO
    Links analogue sound – eg, from a VCR, digital TV adaptor, turntable or tape deck, to your system

COMPONENT VIDEO
    Best of all picture connectors, it separates images into their colour components

S-VIDEO
    Carries pictures. Beats composite and regular Scart, but not as good as RGB Scart or component video

OPTICAL DIGITAL
    Carries digital 5.1 sound from DVD player to amplifier. Will also connect a CD or MiniDisc to an amp or system

COAXIAL DIGITAL
    Also sends digital 5.1 sound from DVD player to amp, or connects CD to your system

POWER CABLES
    Even the humble mains lead can be upgraded. This may seem crazy, but essentially any picture or sound system is ‘playing’ the mains and the better the mains, the better the performance. A better mains lead helps to eliminate radio frequency hum; a filter attempts to eliminate other forms of mains-bourn noise and smooth out the ‘spikes’ in the mains (generated by a nation switching on the kettle after Eastenders). If there are localised noise producers on the mains loop, it is also possible to place mains suppression at the source, too.

I have sourced all of mine from one supplier which was http://www.hificables.co.uk/

As DLau rightly says - you should be spending at least 10% of your budget on cables.

I also have a number of documents on this if you want to PM me, I can mail them on.

Cheers,
    Will

4. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,
    see mark grant here at the forum.
    he'll cover most of them at a good deal