1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cables cost how much? Yikes!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bugblatter, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Popped into Sevenoaks today to get a component-to-component cable (for the DVD recorder to the pj) and a HDMI-to-HDMI cable plus a DVI-to-HDMI converter (to hook up the PC, and leave me with a proper HDMI cable for when Sky goes HD).

I don't have the pj yet and don't know exactly how I'll arrange things yet, so I decided to go for 5m cables

For the HDMI cable he started off with the £250 option, probably so that the £100 option wouldn't sound quite so bad afterwards.

The component cable was going to be around the same.

And as soon as you go over 5m the price rockets.

I know with audio systems the advice is generally to spend 10% of the cost of your system on the cabling, but there are a lot more cables for a home-cinema audio system so it doesn't seem unreasonable.

In my experience cables for digital audio are a rip-off, I've got a £50 one and a cheapo phono-to-phono intended for analogue audio. Both give me the same quality.

I know that even for digital you need decent quality cabling for longer distances, but £100 seems like a rip-off for a 5m HDMI cable.

Somebody posted this site today: http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/homecinema_AVcables_molex.htm

They have much cheaper cables, my question is whether they're any good, particularly the 5m ones. Does anyone have any experience of them?

2. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Look around for prices, Sevenoaks are not the cheapest retailer (and thats being polite). My 10m component cable was about £15 from Farnells. :thumbsup:

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Bugblatter

The Molex cables offer excellent value for money.

When your connecting two HDMI sources you get few problems at 5m - though stick a test pattern or two in your DVD player and you can see where the extra engineering in the likes of a BetterCables Display Magic cable can pay dividends; even with HDMI.

Where you have a source with a DVI output you have to be aware that not all DVI transmitters will drive a long cable - 5m is deemed long by some hardware manufacturers.

Keep in mind too that a DVI to HDMI adapter is as expensive as a 5m Molex DVI to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI cable - you may be better off installing one of each type of cable :)

Best regards

Joe

4. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a bit more like it :clap:

I had a look on ivojo too, where I got the projector from, and their 5m cables were over £100 too. I guess they're just not offering the cheap option.

Farnell looks pretty cheap, I may give them a go, cheers :)

I like Sevenoaks because they're there, without them I'd have had a lot more trouble auditioning a DLP. It hurts to buy anything from them though, knowing how much more I'm paying.

By the way what happened to B&B Hifi? Our local one has closed down, their website seems to be dead; did they go bust or get bought out?

5. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Joe. Initially I'll be driving the HDMI from the DVI-out on my PC's graphics card. I've no idea what length of cable it can drive, I think I'll wait until I know where everything will be and then get the right length of cable rather than just going for a long one.

I see what you mean about the adapter, definitely better to get separate cables instead. That'll also allow me to use a HDMI switcher with the two cables when Sky HD hits.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
  7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I too use Lindy dvi cables and have two 7.5m cables buried in my ceiling, they are excellent value for money, via dvi i have noticed no difference in picture quality between a 7.5 metre Lindy cable a 1 metre dvi cable i used to use when my set up was in a different room.

I also have a 10 metre farnells component cable buried in the ceiling, this replaced a 5 metre belden component cable, with this there was a slight difference.
    The Belden cables are just so well made, the picture through my xbox is slightly softer (and i mean very slightly) than via the belden. I was worried about this when i was installing it but hoped that i would only be using the component cable for a year or so as i hoped the next gen consoles would have dvi/hdmi.

8. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    If you think that is bad you should have a look in Comet...they are selling the Monster 1m HDMI cable for £100 :eek:

I got a 15m componant cable made up by Hi Fi Store and it cost me £130..it is amazing quality and the picture is superb to say that it is a long run.

9. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I get most of my cables from Farnells, they do a range of van damme cables that are very good and as they are a trade supplier the cost is a fraction of what you will pay at a retail outlet. my 10m vga cost 40 quid, and 10 m scart (even though I don't use it ) was 25 quid,10 m component was 35 quid and i've tested it against a 150 cable and u really cannot tell the difference, deano will testify to the quality of these cables as he uses them as well. The lindy hdmi/dvi cables are also very good, I bought a 10m for 45 quid but decided not use it as I couldn't see any improvement over the vga that I already had installed. Some of the prices retailers quote are just ridiculous , you can get equally good cables at a fraction of the cost if you shop around.

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  11. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    I've got a 10m component cable that I used just once before changing over to a 10m HDMI lead. Cost me about £65 as I recall. Biggest problem I found with it is how unwieldly the damn thing is. About an inch in diameter and about as bendy as a piece of wood. I'd let it go for £30 plus postage. Got a JS component buffer I don't use too. Fitted for all on one day before being removed as redundant. That cost me £60 an' all. If anyone wants one cheap lemme know. :)

Regards

Mark

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    pjclark1

On a Projected image I'd suggest a well engineered 75ohm video cable is a much better option.

Best regards

Joe

13. rockhard

rockhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I still have my custom 8 m Canary compoenet tri colour cable which cost me $50 Cdn ...

I have since bit the bullet and purchased a 10m HDMI Ultralink PRO Mark II which list at $350
    Cdn plus tax but I managed a dealer deal and got it for $250 tax in ...The dealer deal also included the Monster HDMI > DVI-D adapter ( $50 retail value ). http://www.ultralinkcables.com/index2.html

It is nice to have the extra length in case next PJ has to move back on the ceiling to get bigger is better picture ...:)

14. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I bought a 12m Bettercables HDMI - HDMI from Joe, & it works a treat (thanks Joe
    for the quick delivery). I had it installed before I could test it & was worried about
    the length, but there are no problems with it & image is wayyy better than component.

I guess it's maybe more important to get good quality cables when going long distances.

When buying one or two metre digital cables, especially audio ones, I really
    wonder if you will tell the difference between cheapo ones & hi end.

15. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a 10M cable from Maplins - £30, no problem at all with the image.

If they're local, might be a convenient choice