Cables Choices

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Pgamer, Mar 18, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Pgamer

Pgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Been using the free HDMI cable that came with my Sam 850DVD player, with my M40 samsung screen. Will I notice a huge improvement if I go and spend 50 quid of a new cable?

Thanks,

P

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Nope, I doubt it.

3. peterpatch

peterpatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Members of AV Forums have mixed opinions about upgrading cables. If you are unhappy with your picture and think it can be improved then why not see if it can be improved by upgrading the HDMI cable. Maybe you will be able to return it if you are unconvinced. If I was reasonably happy with the picture, I would stick with current cable.

4. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Yep give it a go, find an acommodating dealer and agree that if theres no improvemnet they will accept the cable back.

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    As previous post says, go to a dealer who will let you return it if it makes no difference.

My experience is with a 2m HDMI/DVI cable. My initial cable was a 'cheap' generic one - when I bought it it was half the price of all the others but still expensive. It seemed to work OK but I was having an intermittent issue that affected HDCP. After a year of going between my DVD manufacturer and display manufacturer tests indicated problems with the mechanical connectors of some designs of plug used on various cables. I was recommended a particular brand by the display manufacturer which in tests was shown to be 100% reliable - the cable and plugs were made by Molex who are a major player in the HDMI specifications so they should know to what specifications things should be built. As it happened they obviously do and my replacement cable has been 100% reliable.

This cable cost me a grand total of £10 + p&p (ie a fraction of the cost of my original 'budget' cable. What was noticable was that the molex cable was much thicker than the generic one.

I recomended this cable to another user using my DVD player who was suffering similar problems - at the time they were using very expensive cables (Wireworld I think). He did however notice a loss in color vibrance - something that I am a loss to explain as it is discreet digital values after all.

I too am having some issues when using 1080p which may or may not be cable related. But to be honest I am pushing my luck running at this rate and I am quite happy with 720p (and 1080i) so I will stick with that rather than shelling out for a more expensive cable that may or may not suffer from the mechanical connector problem that was causing my HDCP issues.

I think the moral of this story is that an expensive cable may make a difference (probably more so as the limits of the cable specification are reached - ie longer runs) but an expensive cable does not necessarily ensure that it is well made or near perfect specification. It doesn't matter how good or expensive a cable is, if it doesn't work 100% reliably then its is worthless.

As usual, it is important to try the kit with the items that it will be connected to and make sure thay you can get a full refund if you are the slightest bit unhappy.