1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cables, cables, cables!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by rik, Nov 8, 2001.

1. rik

rik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone around help me choose some cables?!

I need 1 optical audio,
    1 coaxial audio,
    1 sub phono,
    2 sets of L/R audio phono,
    5 full function scarts and lots of speaker wire (for spring clips unfortunatley!!)

I'm really looking for the cables which give a great jump in quality, but before diminishing returns starts to kick in and push the price sky high!

Cheers in advance,
    Rik

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I strongly suggest that you read 'What Hi-Fi'. The best mag for cables ratings/prices by far. ;)

3. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You don't say what sort of kit your using, or how much you want to spend but how about these as a starter idea.

Optical - Cheapest you can find I can hear naff all difference.
    Coax - Again go for a cheapish phono as long as it's 75 ohms.
    Sub Phono - I'd go fairly cheap again, maybe try Lektropaks or similar, I've used a few of their cables and they seem fine to me.

Audio phono is the fun bit, I've tried various interconnects, and still use a mix i.e. Chord Cobra, Russ Andrews PJB and IXOS some number. And I'd recommend Russ Andrews everytime.

Can't help on scart's really I only use one and it's a profigold something, better than the standard supplied scart, but I've nothing else to compare it with.

Speaker wire, I've tried quite a few Cable Talk 4.1 (I think), Home made twisted, cheap 79 strand, Chord Odyssey and a few more I can't remember, out of the lot I'd say Chord first followed by the home made stuff. Again I'd suggest RA stuff, however I've never listened to it, I'm just going by what I've heard from their interconnects and mains cables.

Some people around here might question the use of decent speaker cable when you've only got spring clips, I'm not sure how much difference spring clips make.

Anyway that maybe a pointer of some things to look at, hopefully everyone will jump in and say my advice is crap and they have other ideas.

Slingshot