Cables, cables, cables!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by hi-de-hi, Oct 22, 2004.

1. hi-de-hi

hi-de-hi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

After sending two hitachi's back due to fault, I have finally bought a 504hde. So as it is, I have a NAD L75 amp and a NAD L55 DVD player. I also have a Grundig DigiBox.

In addition to this I have considerable confusion raining down! I've run a scart from the DigiBox into my amp with video, R & L (in and out) cables and then run the scart fromthe back of the DigiBox into the Pioneer tuner box.

And breathe....

My DVD has composite out, scart (rgb) out and s-video out and is currently connected by s-video through the amp.

Firstly, I received a fantastic plan of 'how to conect' some time ago by mail (thank you Joe!) but have since been burgled (great) so no longer have the laptop it was sent through on. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should get the best performance out of the system as it is at the moment. The decision to go for the 504 has left me a tad short in the bank so additional expence would be a struggle!

Secondly, and hopefully in noddy language so I can get the basic understanding (!) what is composite video out compared to RGB, scart and component?

Sorry for the longwinded questions. And thank you in advance for you help.

Cheers

Simon

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Lets start you Video quality ascending order.
    RF,Composite,S-video,RGBS,Component,RGBHV,DVi (HDMI)
    cables....scart can carry multiple video signals types, S-video lead is actually a 4pin mini din lead....component lead is usually 3 RCA (phono) or 3 BNC cable, VGA cable actually a 15 pin D-Sub normally carry RGBHVsignal but can carry others

3. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    From what I can see, your best option with what you have, will be an RGB scart lead. This will give you the best picture from your DVD player.

COMPONENT RCA connection is a lead with 3 plugs at each end, coloured red green and blue. Then you need a separate two pin phono lead lead for audio. As the RGB signals are carried separately, you get less interference in the picture. (Best option).

COMPOSITE connection is a lead with 3 plugs at each end, coloured red white and yellow. The yellow plug carries all info for video, the red and white leads for audio. The red, green and blue video signals are all carried via the yellow plug, which is why you will see the red part of the signal bleed into other sections of the picture, so it's not very sharp (like video), (Worst option).

RGB enabled scart lead can carry RGB AND composite signals and IMO, comes close to component in quality. (Your best option). I think that some (cheap) scart leads only carry a composite connection.

SVHS connection is better than composite, but not as good as RGB scart.

Hope this helps. ( If you know all this already, please accept my apologies. I do go on a bit!)

4. hi-de-hi

hi-de-hi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No - didn't know all that. And thank you for the explanation!

So with my DVD having only s-video and composite, s-video into the amp is the best option. THa amp then feeds into the sky box through s-video. My Sky box then feeds via scart directly into the pioneer tuner box, which is connected via the funny white cable into the screen. All good so far...

I suppose my next question is regarding HDMI and progressive scan. Given my current set-up, and given that I've read something somewhere about the 504hde sorting out interlaced signal into progressive scan, is it worth me considering bringing another DVD player into the arena. And, if I'm looking at bringing in another DVD player to take advantage of progressive scan, is it then worth considering HDMI as well. Albeit that's going to be a little way off considering the prices!

I mainly watch News 24, National Geographic and music DVD's, so it's weighing up how much I will gain for the investment I'll need to make.

Thanks once again in advance!

Cheers

Simon

5. Allan238

Allan238
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    @ mray

Thanks for your explanations, I too found them a great help.
    You reach a certain age and you tend to forget the simplest things, even which cable is which and where it goes.
    Much appreciated.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Well actually if DVD has only S-video and composite i would bin it now and buy something better with component which you can get from £80 but iu would reconemnd the Pioneer DV575 which is about £150 and connect to 504 media box with component http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV332.html
    then connect Sky to media box with a good scart http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV7000.html

7. hi-de-hi

hi-de-hi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, in your opion,

a) will I notice a *considerable* difference upgrading my DVD player to the one you have recomended?
    b) Should I also consider an HDMI DVD player - I'm thinking of 'cost vs benefit' to me.

Thanks.. ;-)

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    well 575 £150 ish 868 £800 ish HDMI and designed to go with plasma suggest you go to the dealer you bought 504 from and ask to see both DVDs they should be able to do a PIP comparison of 575 component and 868 HDMI see if it is worth the extra...