1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cables and wallplate help needed!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Andrew1982, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Andrew1982

Andrew1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm quite new to this and wondered if you guys can help - I've had a look through old threads and can't seem to find the answer to my question so here goes:

I'm moving into a new flat pretty soon and have bought an lcd, a 5.1 kit, dvd and sky box and am going to try and hide the wires inside the plasterboard walls. I quite happy destroying my walls and have a pretty good idea of how I will feed the wires through and then fill the holes but am unsure as to how to go about installing wallpates. I know I need a special plasterboard box and the suitable plate but what kind of wire would I use for SCART for example. I was initially planning on just running a 5-10 meter scart from the TV to where the boxes will be and have the wire sticking out of the wall but this wont look great. I have found a plate at http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Hi-Fi&TVaccessories/WallMountedConnectors/scart_wall_mounts.htm but how do i connect to this so that all I need is the shortest possible SCART running fom my sky/dvd boxes to the wall sockets?

Any help will be much appreciated - sorry if its a bit long winded!

2. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What are you going to be running through your scart? I assume that you will be wanting to pass RGB. will you be requiring any audio for any built in speakers?

For the vidio side of things, I would suggest a 4 core 75ohm video coax. You will need to wire up RGB and composite (for VHS and/or syncs).

As for audio,

If you want to just run Video, the only other factor you need to look into is the Function switching and RGB switching of the scart interface (pins 8 & 16 respectivly).

For audio, I would sugest you could run CAT5 for L&R (speakers on LCD cant be that good) and also connect pins 8, 16 & 21 for switching with the last 4 cores.

Rgds,

Gareth.

3. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The ackward thing would bbe wiring the scart up at the back of that plate.

As BCD said, I would run RGBY over four mini coax cables and present them on a neat little RGBY module.

As for the 5.1 speaker there are other neater solutions to present the connections, I have custom speaker outlets made up for me in either Euromod or Legrand Mosaic modules that then allow me to customise almost any outlet without needing to get the soldering iron out!

If I get chance I'll photograph what I have here and post them up.

4. nicknackynoo

nicknackynoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm doing a similar instilation and my plan is to run the cables in conduit so that if they need changing in the future I can just pull them through with a bit of string attached and run new ones without disturbing the plater.
    I'm not planning on any fancy boxes by the wallplate as my plasma will be well in front of any wires and won't be visible unless you lie under it...!
    I think you also asked about installation of the wall bracket, not a problem as long as you find a stud (vertical piece of wood running from floor to ceiling) to attach it to.
    If the stud isn't where you would like to position the tv then remove enough plasterboard between two studs to fix a square of marine plywood (tough and lasts years) and attach your bracket to that, then get someone to skim over it for a neat finish. The weight of the tv will now be spread over two studs.

All the Best