Cables and Scart boxes

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Catman, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Catman

Catman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    xxxxxxxxx[COLOR]I recently purchased an Optoma 30a projector, and I have to say that it is FANTASTIC!
    Having tried it out with various scart cables and scart boxes, I now want to connect everything up permanently. I need a good quality VGA cable, approximately 8 metres in length. I will be connecting my VCR, DVD, and TV digi-box via good quality scarts to a scart box - also of good quality(currently I am using Argos stuff). The output will then go to EITHER my projector OR my TV. Ideally, a scart box with 2 switchable outputs would be nice.
    Where are the best sources for these items? :rolleyes:

2. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    The Btech Quintro+ will do the job for you for the scart switching. Takes upto 3 RGB inputs and outputes to 2 RGB outs. So I have my DVD, Sky and PS2 going in and out to both the TV and PJ. RGB throughout.

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,552
    Another vote for the Quintro+ here - mine feeds everything into the PJ and the TV and auto-switches everything.

Slightly puzzled by '3 RGB inputs' - I was under the impression that 4 of the 5 inputs were RGB in and the 5th is RGB out (as the pins are shared). I only have 3 things connected so I wouldn't know for sure!

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=AV09359&N=411
    £59.571 + VAT (£70inc) fast delivery is free.

4. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    One of them is both RGB in and out, and there is only one dedicated out. So you can 4 inputs to 1 output or two inputes to 3 outputes. Doesn;t actually make it very clear in the product description which is suprising because having 2 RGB outs is what really sets it apart.

5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,552
    Sorry pmc - I'm still baffled by that comment

http://www.b-tech-int.com/BT945.htm

The TV output (far right) is definitely RGB out. I use the input/output second in on the right to feed the projector, this socket is RGB out only it will only accept a composite input as the RGB pins are shared on the SCART socket design and aren't switched by the Quintro+. That leaves 4 other inputs all RGB capable.

The product descriptions and the manual are as clear as mud on the subject but I'm confident that you can get 2 RGB outputs and have 4 inputs available - if you can find SCART leads that fit.

6. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    From memory I agree the one on the far right is the main RGB out and is only out. I use that for the PJ. The one second from the right is the RGB in/out. I use that to output to the TV. I know it's RGB as the TV says so every time I switch it on. The rest are RGB inputs.

I'll double check when I get home but I'm pretty sure thats right. What I do know is that both the TV and PJ report RGB signals.

7. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Ah hold on, I think I see the confusion. I said earlier that one of them was both RGB in/out but I think you may well be right. It's composinte in/RGB out. So you can't have 5 RGB inputs but then again I never said you could :)

The big attraction is having 2 RGB outs. I think 4 RGB ins is plenty for most people.

8. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,552
    I never said you could have 5 RGB inputs either :D but 4 in and 2 out is a winner in anyone's book. Looks like we may have scared off Catman but maybe that will help someone using the search. ;)