1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cablecard in Europe, WHEN?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by David Mackenzie, Jul 5, 2005.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yet another good idea from the US of A. For those that aren't aware, CableCard is a system that means you can hook your cable service up to your TV, slot in a card, and watch either Standard or High Definition signals without the need for a separate decoder. Yup, it's all handled by the TV. Less wires, more room, and one more video input freed up. Not only that, but it saves you money on having to pay your cable operator for extra decoders if you want the services in more than one room. (Sony's new LCD WEGAs will have CableCard slots when they launch in the coming months, but not on the European versions).

As far as I'm aware, this idea hasn't ever really been exploited in Europe - can anyone confirm? I know integrated digital TVs have CAM modules for TopUpTV cards, is this basically just the same thing only Cable compatible?

So, is there any hope for this clever (although I have to say, quite obvious) idea coming over here?

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Loewe D-TV/D-Sat option is similar but not as yet HiDef. Basically it is a combined D-TV and D-Sat tuner with a single digital decoder. When you tune in, there are options to search for aerial/cable and satellite. There are also two cam slots for use by the digital decoder. The satellie is not $ky compatible but there other satellites and manual configurations to choose from. The D-TV option gives you much more control than our Freeview system as you can search different frequencies and bandwidth but it does not support MHEG5 since it is not specifically a Freeview tuner. The cable option is there which you can also select manually, however I do not know if it would work with UK digital services or if it is just for analogue.

When you then add channels, you have over 1400 channel slots available to store your UHF, VHF, Cable, D-TV (ie Freeview in the UK) and D-Sat. Everything is transparent to the user so you are unaware what the source of your channel is.

I believe that hidef is scheduled but it would not beable to use the Sky HD service since Sky's system is proprietry to their boxes so you would be limited to HD1/2 and any others that come along. Being a Loewe, theoretically you would plug the new cards into the old sets but I have a suspicion that the 2500/2550 chassis' will be left behind.

It would work a treat if the it was twin sat/d-tv tuner/digital decoder so you could have digital PIP or record to the internal harddisc and it would receive ABC1. Oh, yes, and I had a satellite dish.

-Ian

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    That setup sounds excellent, that's just how it should be - channels from everything in one place.

Doesn't surprise me that Sky are messing around though. I don't know about Satellite, but in the US the FCC actually forced cable providers to agree on CableCard solutions. Supposedly, the image being processed by the TV internally instead of partly by a decoder improves the image quality substantially.