Cable v WiFi

Fiesta Red

Established Member
Reaction score
I finally managed to get all my connections sorted and Amazon Prime too. Had a quick look at some of the stuff on Amazon and the IQ wasn't "brilliant".

When watching films or sport on Am Prime, would I get a better picture if I connected the TV through a cable rather than use the built in WiFi? Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

I finally managed to get all my connections sorted and Amazon Prime too. Had a quick look at some of the stuff on Amazon and the IQ wasn't "brilliant".

When watching films or sport on Am Prime, would I get a better picture if I connected the TV through a cable rather than use the built in WiFi? Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
Unless your wireless reception in the room was dire, I’m not sure you’d notice any difference. By all means try it, but I don’t think the difference in this case for the majority of users between Wi-Fi and Ethernet would be possible to see.

Thanks for the reply Sagaris, really appreciated.

Thanks for the reply Sagaris, really appreciated.
Wonder if you’d benefit from Wi-Fi boosters in the room, as I suspect the receiver in the TV is a low end one.... you’d also benefit in the room on other devices too....

It's only the smart TV downstairs, everything else is in the office near the router upstairs. Thanks for the help.

Overall the cable is always better, but a wifi repeater (range extender) could help you in this case also.

Overall the cable is always better, but a wifi repeater (range extender) could help you in this case also.
Agreed...

Also, if it's too difficult to run an ethernet cable from your router to your TV, then Powerline (HomePlug) adaptors are the next best thing...

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'll start looking at the Powerline adaptors as I have sockets near both ends.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'll start looking at the Powerline adaptors as I have sockets near both ends.

Also you don't need to go mental and spend a lot on gigabit+ capable ones as you might not get their full speeds anyway depending on your mains wiring - unless you want to use them for multiple devices simultaneously streaming video or copying files while watching movies streaming as well

You can often pick up cheap starter kits of the 200Mbps models but I see that the 600Mbps models are cheap as chips now

TP-Link Nano Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack | 7dayshop

Never thought of looking on the 7Dayshop, good prices too. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for all the help. I got a deal on one of the TP-Link Nano Powerline Adapters through Amazon. It arrived bright and early Sunday morning and started working more or less straight out of the box.

The only problem I have is all the mains sockets both near my TV and my PC are either low mounted or in the wall just above my desk which causes a problem as the ethernet cables plug into the bottom of the TP-Link Adapters. I'll get there eventually.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom