Cable Upgrade Order (mains/interconnect/speaker)

BenW

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the recommended upgrade order is.

I looked on russ andrews site and he says mains then interconnect then speaker cable but i guess he makes most money from mains. His argument being that interconnect/speaker cable upgrades cover up the effects of poor mains and obviously mains cables cure those problems.

Can anyone input on this?
Thanks
Ben

I would say the same, start with your mains supply if possible.

If you look at the article on Russ Andrews website here:
http://www.russandrews.com/viewindex.asp?article_id=pgabout

There is plenty of free information available.

I would start at the incoming supply fuse, and work towards the consumer unit, then from consumer unit to sockets for AV etc.

Not expensive to buy the parts needed, labour will be the biggest cost.
(not really a DIY job)

Then take it from there with any power cables you care to try, or interconnects, speaker cables etc.

Mark.

BenW said:
Just wondering what the recommended upgrade order is.

I looked on russ andrews site and he says mains then interconnect then speaker cable but i guess he makes most money from mains. His argument being that interconnect/speaker cable upgrades cover up the effects of poor mains and obviously mains cables cure those problems.

Can anyone input on this?
Thanks
Ben
Personal opinion is mains cable makes no difference. Mains treatment can make drastic changes. Much will also depend on your equipment.

Thanks Mark, my problem is that my seperates are in the only corner of my room without a wall socket. This means a ~6m extension cable currently goes from the wall socket then amp into extension lead then cd player and tuner into amp.

So this means i would need 6/7m of mains cable. Looking at the supra lorad this comes to nearly £100 which is more that i want to spend (Would rather get a new CDP)

The house is only 3 years old so i'd guess the electrics throughout the house are all of a reasonable standard.

Would you recommend something like this as a starter? I'm sure if i contacted him he could do a 6/7m extension.

Thanks Knightshade, i too am unsure if mains will make a difference. With the ebay link its not too expensive so if theres no difference its not a big deal

Perhaps i should look at an upgrade route like this

1) eBay extension cable
2) Marks Analogue Interconnect for CDP
3) SpeakerFlex speaker cables

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I doubt you'd go too far wrong with what you are planning. As you say for the money it's not going to break the bank and if it doesn't work you can always sell it on e**y.
The distribution box's are fine, if the guy will make one for you at a reasonable price then give it a go.
Mark's digital cables are excellent, if has analogue cables are as good, you won't ever need to replace it.
Haven't tried the SpeakerFlex cable but if the CSA is there and the cables well terminated I doubt you'll have a problem.

The first two areas I would look at for upgrading are the room acoustics and speaker interaction and then the equipment power supplies

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom