1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cable upgrade between NTL wall point and Decoder?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by jeremysmith, May 16, 2005.

1. jeremysmith

jeremysmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read with interest the variuos threads re the benefits of decent SCART cables - and bought some QED cables as a result. I have an NTL Digital TV service and was wondering if there were similar benefits in upgrading the cable that connects the wall box to the Decoder? (of even if such cables are available?)

2. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have always been sceptical about cables. Although I do use high quality video and audio cables I never bothered with things like aerials and mains cables. I reckoned that if there's miles of rubbish quality cable from the exchange all the way to my flat then the last 2m won't make a difference either. Nevertheless, I recently decided to buy a Belkin PureAV Isolator and Surge Protector here (more for the surge protection than the power filter) and this included a high quality gold plated aerial, both a TV aerial and a Cable TV/Satellite aerial with F-Plug. As I then still had the crappy white cable from the wall to the surge protector I decided to get this high quality f-plug cable from Maplin here

I found a noticeable improvement in picture quality from cable TV. I used to have lots of mosquito noise and some ghosting and this has definitely improved. The problem is I'm not going to be able to tell you how much of the improvement was from the cable alone and how much from the power filter. And I had such a drama until all 8 mains cables plus 2 aerials were re-routed and plugged in that I'm also not going to test it for you. Sorry. :)

3. jeremysmith

jeremysmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback - I hadn't given the filters a thought but am tempted to get one and give it a go.