1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable upgrade advice wanted for new Plasma/DVD

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Billilu, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been researching into cables ahead of the arrival of my Pioneer 434 plasma, and I'd like some advice before I start ordering online.

I was thinking of a IXOS XHT 611 scart to scart (£31.95 for 1.5m at hifistore.co.uk) to go from my Sony7700 DVD to the Pioneer media box, to be replaced by an HDMI cable if I end up buying one of the upcoming Pioneer DVDs. I would then switch this scart to my Sky+ box.

I thought of upgrading to a 3 metre QED Qunex SR75 coaxial (£59.95 from hifistore.co.uk) to go from the DVD player to my Pioneer 2011. I currently have a Profigold optical, which I would then switch to my Sky+ box (which I didn't realise till last night had an optical output, two years after I first got it!).

Some people seem to recommend the Ecosse Reference coaxials.

Also, would I be able to feed both the coaxial from the DVD and the optical from the Sky+ box into the DVD inputs on the 2011? When I was trying out the optical cable from the Sky+ to the 2011 last night, it seemed to sound better connected to the DVD input than the TV/Sat, unless I was imagining it.

Any thoughts welcomed. I don't want to stint on cabling since I'm spending so much on the plasma, although I understand there are diminishing returns the more money you spend.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would look at the QED scarta £40 ish and Profigold cables a good coax cable for the DVD player PGD481 pr longer.
    Does Sony DVD not have Component out?

3. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly not, honeydragon.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Saving for one that does will make a much bigger impact than a changing the sacart especially a PS player like the HK DVD25 that play were offering at the bargain price of £250!!!

5. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    fyi, I just got a QED Sqart AV41 - RGB only for my dvd and RP and the difference is amazing, the picture just sings now. I also bought a Qunex SR-SW for my REL. Very pleased with both. Got them from www.hificables.co.uk Free next day delivery.