1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cable tv on Sony 12HT?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TravelBug, Jan 20, 2004.

1. TravelBug

TravelBug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks.
    Please help! There is a major live TV event coming up in my corner of the world, and we'd dearly love to watch it on our Sony 12HT, and 92 inch Stewart screen.

We are aware the signal may not be ideal - i.e. sharp etc. But the fun is in watching it on a big screen, never mind the resolution!

The question is: how to hook up our cable TV box to the the Sony 12HT?

Current setup
    Marantz SR 7300
    Pioneer DVD
    Sonus Faber speakers setup

Now, I'm not conversant with the "AV-speak" so pls bear with me. I watch DVD movies via Input-A on my Sony 12HT projector.

We only want to hook up the cable tv for a one-time use, i.e. we'd be disconnecting it after the LIVE EVENT is over.

So, shall I hook up the cable box to the Sony 12HT directly? Or shall I hook it up to the AMP?

Thanks in advance

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    You got someone else to install it didn't you?

I don't know waht outputs you get from an NTL box : in addition to the scart which I assume is currently in use you might have an svideo output or composite either of ehich you can connect to the 12HT via a suitable cable of adequate length. You can by pass the amp entirely (up to you). You might have a secondary scart port that supplies a composite signal ( or even svideo but I doubt it). A suitable adaptor and cable will again allow you to hook this up to a suitable input on the sony.

3. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to be sure, which exact corner of the world are you in? Who's your cable provider and what's the make/model of the cable box?

If you are in the UK, are on NTL and have a Pace 2000 digital box then you have two scart sockets. The one marked TV has both composite and RGB signals. The other, marked VCR, has only composite.

I'm not certain what would be involved in connecting the RGB to the projector (not figured this out myself ;) ) but the easiest connection would be a scart-> composite+stereo lead from the cable VCR socket to the amp.

This is assuming the cable box is near the amp and you have a composite connection from the amp to the projector already.

Picture quality will not be great but if you're not certain what you're doing this is about the easiest way.

I'm currently using a JS RGB->SVideo converter to connect my cable to my SVHS deck and then running the SVideo from there to my Amp and then on to the Projector. Could do with a more direct method but not figured out how yet. :)

4. TravelBug

TravelBug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi for all your replies!

Luckily :clap: the folks who installed my setup has catered for the fact that I might need the hook up. Thus, there is already a cable that runs from the 12HT, just nice for me to connect to the cable box. (I'm from Singapore. The cable box only has composite).

Husbands come in handy after all - mine did all the connection. :D

All i need to do is switch to VIDEO on the 12HT, and then on the Marantz amp remote controller, switch to DSS (sorry. Didn't bother to find out what that means).

Just want to sing praises for the SONY 12HT and the Stewart Firewall. The image was better than expected! Even with ambient light, it is watchable.

*BYE*

Thanks again all!
    Cheryl

5. TravelBug

TravelBug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry! :blush: