1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CABLE TV into HTPC???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by doink, Jan 9, 2005.

1. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I want to try using my HTPC with TV (just installed media centre) but want more than the standard Freeview cards can offer, is there any way I can get a signal from cable tv into a card and control it?

2. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    sweetspot card will do exactly this, do a search and you will find hundreds of posts to help you on your way.

3. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As in I just stick the raw RF signal into the card (before it hits the cable box) and it will just decode the different channels and I'll be able to flick between them using the software?

4. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you want is not possible I dont think, I wish they did one for sky that accepted the sky viewing card it would be brilliant.

5. rosco99

rosco99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I helped my son set up his new MCE XP2005 over Xmas. It has a Winfast 2000XP capture card and PVR. We ran the Co-ax cable from Sky box to computer, tuned it in and was able to receive all Sky channels. You can control these channels and record to hard disk with the remote supplied with the card.
    I have not played with it since and my son is away so I haven't worked out fine details but This seems to do what you were asking.
    Ross

6. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds interesting, did you take the outpur from the sky box or directlly from the lnb?

Wonder if this would work with cable TV

7. rosco99

rosco99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky is from satellite, not cable. Output is from the Sky Box. I would think output would be same from Sky box if cable input or satellite.
    Ross

8. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you sound a little confused

9. Wikkus

Wikkus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl:

I'm a noob here so am hardly qualified to comment, but since when has that prevented people posting stuff to the web? :D
    Getting back to your original post (and to clarify), are you wishing to take the raw feed and do stuff with it or are you wishing to take the feed from the Set Top Box and do stuff with it?

We've got Telewest cable and are about to upgrade to digital after many years on analogue. Having spoken yesterday to the nice people at Hauppauge, I'm getting the impression that the raw feed route is a non-starter and that the preferred way of doing things is to take the modulated feed from the STB and plug that into something like a PVR-150/250/350.

10. Prehjan

Prehjan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sweetspot card is awsome piece of engineering...what i did was leave the tv card on channel 3 or 4 (whatever yours is), and just switch chanells through the DVR system provided by the cable company...but i am in california so it might not seem to be the answer for someone in europe, or australia.,,,,
    what i am trying to say is that all you need is one channel and a set top box.,..reason being the tvcards usually dont go above 125chanels an i have in excess of 160 channels...anyhow that what i did and yes i am using the sweetspot and Xcard to do the dvd playing/watching!!!
    i have this whoel deal connceted through an infocus X1 projector...thats the video side...for sound that another post...
    goog luck

Martin out

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    /uk SKy and Cable companies liscence Hardware manufacuter so control what can be done (cable comapnies just buy what ever is cheap) FV is a free open area where manufacturers can play around with stuff as long as they can sell it and make it pay...............
    RF capture is low quality and crap........ sweet spot allows you to take RGB from STB (has to use STB to decrypt channels) and feed it into your PC for PVR or scaling apps (or just watching it) http://www.pluggedin.tv/item--SweetSpot-Video-Processor--PITVSS001

12. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK chaps... to clarify, here's what I want to do.

Take a feed from my cable box (either split it before it goes into the box (RAW) or take a feed out... then want to feed this to mu htpc and have the HTPC change channels, I'm not concerened with anything the Americans can do, 125 channels is enough for me .... I can do without the GOD channel and ZEE TV.
    I'm fine using RF as I have access to purchase a high end analogue card.

What really concerns me is whether I can use my HTPC to decode whats coming in (ie is it encrypted in some way)

13. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    No you cant decode via HTPC.

in ME 2005 you can change the channels using the IR Blaster that comes with the remote. I run mine via compsite into my TV and the picture is excellent about 90% of
    the regular TV picture direct STB to TV.(Recorded TV is even better)

However soon ATI are releasing a new TV card that is supposed to enhance the picture to make it better than the original!! 'TV Wonder Home Elite' see their site for details