1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable TV - Can you tune it in???

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Paul O, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi everyone! Is it possible to tune in Digitial Cable to your television (e.g have BBC1 on channel 1 of your telly and Sky News on channel 21 of your telly for example)?

I ask because this is my only means of TV reception at the moment, but I want to play around with the TV tuner in my PC. Rather than have everything through the "Aux" mode, I'd like to tune it in a stations, like you would a normal TV.

Go on... someone tell me that you can't do this...

thanks everyone,

Cheers!

Paul.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Nope.
    A single tuner/decoder digital STB can only access one channel at a time and output it through the scart/s-video or RF connection.

You can of course tune your TV directly into the analogue channels that are carried on the NTL system alongside the digital ones.
    A standard TV tuner will pickup 1-5 and maybe the info channel, anyothers will require a analogue STB. Your PC TV card which might have extended tuning facilities could pick up some extra analogue channels but it will only see the single RF channel output of the digital STB.

3. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thankyou Starbusrt, That makes much more sense now.

So if I plug in the RF connection from my cable box into my computer (or Tv for easier example), I will be able to tune in channels 1-5 (at least) without the need for an additional arial?

If so, then I am most happy!! I haven't tried it yet, as I don't have a manual and its a bit of effort to get to the back of the cable box, so wanted to be sure first.

Cheers!

Paul.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Only if your digital STB has analogue pass through (Some don't).
    If it doesn't pass through the analogue then you can get an adaptor to split the incoming cable connection from the wall socket, one goes to the STB and the other goes to the TV/Card.

Some more details from another thread here.

5. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Many thanks Starburst - I'll give it a go.

I'm not sure if my box has the facility (its a telewest digital one, about 6 months old), but I'll give it a try. Failing that, I'll look into a splitter for the signal.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Paul.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    My error, as a previous NTL digital user I always see NTL when someone says they have digital cable :blush:

PACE supply the STB's to TW and from looking at their website it certainly looks like the unit has analogue passthrough.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It will do

8. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all,

Well I tried this tonight (finally I here you cry! hehe). I put the RF out cable from the Cable box into my PC and it didn't pick up anything.

Do I need to alter any settings somewhere, or is it likely that I can't do it.

Also - interestingly there is the option of analog or Cable on the PC card's software settings. Neither worked, just wondered what the difference was? Any ideas??

Cheers,

Paul.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you will need to retune as i know ntl carry the signal on different frequnecies to wireless broadcasts (assuming cable is connect to the cab) also try the lead from the wall direct in to PC

10. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    You may need a TV that does have a "Hyperband" tuner i.e. one that does tune the whole of the frequency range used for CATV - not just normal Band 1, 3, 4 and 5.
    Many TVs do this - look for "hyperband" in the specifications in your TV manual.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

11. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the info guys,

I have plugged it into a TV card on a PC, but am not picking up a signal.

I selected 'Cable' on the software options and noticed that the tuning went quite rapidly, but went up into the 100's (rather than 69 where it stops when I select Terestrial TV).

Still no signal. Could it be that my box can't do it? :(

Cheers

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Possibly. You haven't got a tv or video recorder you could try it with have you? Analogue PC cards are very fickle, I've tried 3 and given up, I have a digital DTT card now, a far superior tool, but not what you are asking for!

13. whitcat

whitcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm doing the same watching TV through the PC (until I choose and buy a 'normal' TV) with Telewest digital.

The box doesn't do analogue cable passthrough. It does have RF modulation for the digital cable (mine's UHF channel 52 - no need for the cable hyperband frequencies). It will pass through the analogue signal from an aerial, but I presume by this post you don't have one.

You could split the cable that goes into the digibox, so that it also goes to the aerial in. Telewest really don't like you doing this, since it can pass a lot of interference back to their network.

The PC's monitor is being used as a monitor, not a 'television', in our case. The digibox contains the tuner. It's just a case of using the digibox to change channels, not the PC. It does leave the problem that you can only see one channel at once though (e.g. can't record something else).