Cable TV and remote IR control, how??

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by chr15, Nov 22, 2004.

1. chr15

chr15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decided to dump the old FRINDGE electronics TV distribution unit (10 years old) and have looked at the loft box and most of the system units available.

There seems to be a great Market for remote IR (Magic eye, TV Link etc) but they are all specific to Sky Sat units with RF1 and RF2 sockets.

I understand that the cable co's boxes use a very different type of IR frequency band.

So my questions is who has managed to install a TV distribution box on to a cable TV service with IR type magic eye to allow control from remote TV areas??????

Not so worried about all TV's but would like the master bedroom TV to be able to contol the cable channels and if poss the VCR.

DVD isn't an issue cause there cheap enough to buy on a room by room basis.

As always thanks for any help :lease:

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,478
  3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the newer cable stb models accept normal infra red signals. If you haven't got one of these, or you can't swap your older box for a newer one (preferable), then you can control it from another room using digieye (suggested by Flimber above) from Index (catalogue no. 551-541 = £49-65). This will also control the VCR and any other device. If it doesn't work very well for you, you have always got the 16 day money back guarantee to return it for a refund.

You will have to buy additional transmitters (available from Flimber's link), which will cost you a further £32-99 to control from additional rooms.

Also, you'll need to send the cable and video signals to the other rooms.

I've got one of these, and to be honest, it isn't very reliable, as I often can't control the stb from another room, and it is not as easy to use compared with the other remote control relays I have got which are a lot better but don't control the cable (maybe due to the fact that I have got 2 different remote control relay devices running at the same time).

Hope that helps.

:)