• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cable TV and Cable-Broadband - How does it work?

vex

Prominent Member
We have a project on that will be connected to NTL for Tv and Broadband services but it has been a good five years since I left the CATV industry.

My question is how does the cable-broadband service be delivered to the house and how do we get it out arround the house.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
It will come in one coaxial cable and the modem (for the broadband part) can be either within the STB (Set Top Box) via an ethernet port or they can supply a separate cable modem fed via a 2-way splitter.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

vex

Prominent Member
So if we supply an RG6 feed to the central cab use a splitter there for the broadband modem and then use a CATV approved distribution amp (with return path).

We can then share the modem round the house on Ethernet and the CATV on th e coax.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
So if we supply an RG6 feed to the central cab use a splitter there for the broadband modem and then use a CATV approved distribution amp (with return path).

We can then share the modem round the house on Ethernet and the CATV on the coax.

Thanks

Chris

I would recommend an ethernet router with the modem connected to its WAN port and the PCs connected via the LAN ports on the router.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

vex

Prominent Member
Sorry, yes ment via a router rather than the way I typed it.

Chris

alan sh

Established Member
I have NTL with a separate modem - that is connected to a wireless cable router with 4 LAN ports. That acts as my NAT gateway and basic firewall and all other PC's etc come off that. Works great (especially at 10mb/sec)

Alan

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom