Cable to Link int. laptop floppy drive to new computer

Apprentice 2 SA

Standard Member
I wish to link an old laptop internal IBM floppy disk drive to a new computer. (Please don't ask why, I just do, OK. :))

I wish to link the floppy disk drive to the computer using a cable. I want one end of the cable to plug into the back of the old laptop internal floppy disk drive and the other end into a USB on my new computer. (Please don't ask why, I just do, OK. :))

Any ideas what cable I need?

Thanks for any help.

bsuttie

Novice Member
You'll need rather more than a cable as the floppy drive doesn't have serial connections and USB is, well serial.

Something like this will do you, if you really want to you could possibly rip out the floppy drive and put your own in . . .

regards

Brian

Apprentice 2 SA

Standard Member
You'll need rather more than a cable as the floppy drive doesn't have serial connections and USB is, well serial.

Something like this will do you, if you really want to you could possibly rip out the floppy drive and put your own in . . .

regards

Brian
Thanks for the reply. You're basically saying I can't link my old laptop internal IBM floppy disk drive to a USB port. How about to the old printer parallel port?

MarkE19

Laptop internal drives will tend to have an interface designed for the laptop they were designed for. This wont be USB, serial or parallel or any other standard external interface.
I think the easiest (and probably cheapest) option will be to buy a USB floppy drive such as This for under £20 (found with a quick Google search of 'USB floppy drive').

Mark.

Apprentice 2 SA

Standard Member
Laptop internal drives will tend to have an interface designed for the laptop they were designed for. This wont be USB, serial or parallel or any other standard external interface.
I think the easiest (and probably cheapest) option will be to buy a USB floppy drive such as This for under £20 (found with a quick Google search of 'USB floppy drive').

Mark.
Thanks. I think I'll give up on this quest and get a USB floppy drive thru ebay.

I find it irritating that I can't do the environmentally correct thing. But still.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom