Cable to connect soundbar to existing sub

Jangla

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm still procrastinating over which soundbar to spend a little money on and one thing that has become apparent is that I might be able to opt for something with a sub out to hook into an existing sub I have lying around.

My only question is on cabling. The sub has dual RCA inputs on it and every soundbar I've seen in my price range has a single mono RCA out for the sub.

Do I need to look for a single male RCA to dual RCA cable to make this work correctly or will this just not work correctly and I should discount this whole idea in the first place?

Which Sub do you have?

Many have a mono LFE Input on a single RCA or a Stereo Line Input on 2RCA and the Sub auto sense which you have connected, though you usually still have to manually set the crossover and level settings.

Joe

Which Sub do you have?

Many have a mono LFE Input on a single RCA or a Stereo Line Input on 2RCA and the Sub auto sense which you have connected, though you usually still have to manually set the crossover and level settings.

Joe
It's an old 10" Mordant Short I've had in the loft for about 5 years (and owned for even longer!). At this point, I'm not sure it's even still working but I figure I'd check it was possible to use before lugging it down from it's current storage place :)

In case it helps, here's the back:
20210104_200034.jpg

Weird they have used Red for Left and White for Right - the rest of the world reverses that colour scheme.

Can you confirm the model number?

Joe

It's absolutely fine, the sub is only a single channel anyway, the stereo inputs are provided so it can be connected to stereo preouts and not miss any bass info only on one channel.
This is an excerpt from the manual for an MS sub I used to own (MS309) as you can see it says to just connect a single RCA sub connection to either input.
Screenshot_20210125_101308.jpg

It's absolutely fine, the sub is only a single channel anyway, the stereo inputs are provided so it can be connected to stereo preouts and not miss any bass info only on one channel.
This is an excerpt from the manual for an MS sub I used to own (MS309) as you can see it says to just connect a single RCA sub connection to either input.
View attachment 1448149

Perfect - that's exactly what I was looking for :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom