Cable splitter question

LeeMc

Standard Member
Hi All,
I want to use my TV as monitor for a new computer in the lounge. I already have the virgin TV connection in there.
If a buy a cable splitter and wired router will I be able to use this connection to connect to the internet through the tv?
I have a broadband connection at other side of house so I suppose I could go wireless but not sure I trust wireless- am I wrong?
Cheers

jsansom007

Hi,
Yes you can split the connection but you would still need to use the modem provided by cable to connect to the net on your new computer which you have moved by your tv. The only way to get both computers working on the net would be to use the wired router like you have said and run a ethernet cable to the other computer or go wiresless which is safe just make sure you run the wirless connection in secure mode
Hope that helps
Regards
J

LeeMc

Standard Member
Thanks J
Can I buy another modem? is this the same as a router?
I have seen Virgin wired routers for sale on Ebay.
Cheers
again

Tkrockeruk

No one has the right to sell virgin equipment other then virgin themselves. People should not be selling their equipment online.

And no, the virgin Modem via ebay will not work if you plugged it in at your end, they need MAC codes assigning to them, which requires a technician.

jsansom007

Thanks J
Can I buy another modem? is this the same as a router?
I have seen Virgin wired routers for sale on Ebay.
Cheers
again

You would have to pay monthly for a second modem from virgin and all they are selling on ebay is virgin branded wired/wireless routers not modems your best option is wireless for the other computer or run a second ethernet cable to it m8
Regards
J

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom