Cable set up help for newbie

Drunkenbear

Standard Member
Here is my new set up can you tell me which cables types and make would give the best set up and which connections to which, I already have speaker cable sorted already

TV - Panasonic Viera TH42-PX70

DVD - Sony RDR HXD970

AMP - Yamaha DSP-AX640SE

GAMING - XBOX360 elite

thanks for any help

oh and I'm on a reasonable budget around £100-150 so no £100 hdmi cables or anything please

davepuma

Distinguished Member
The DVD recorder will need 1xHDMI and 1xdigi-coax. For HDMI pretty much any cable will do, folks have had good results from cheaper cables. See ebuyer, lidl. I use these. Bluejeanscables.co.uk are also recommended.
For digi-coax I use this

The Xbox Elite will require an optical cable for the audio, again pretty much any cable will do as long as they fit well. I use various types in my system ranging from £3 amazon jobs, through to QED costing £30. Again, profigold are good quality and only cost £10 or so. I'm sure a couple of these will be more than good enough. For the HDMI cable, see above.

The TV audio is analogue, so a pair of RCA phonos is what you need. Once again, profigold are more than good enough for the job. I wouldn't spend much on a pair of interconnects for TV audio anyway.

Drunkenbear

Standard Member
The amp only has a digital coxial connection on the CD input will I be able to get 5.1 through that when I play a DVD or do i need a coxial to toslink convertor to input into the DVD input on the amp and if I use this will it degrade the sound quality much?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
It won't make any difference what the amp calls the input. I'm not familiar with your amp, so don't know if you can assign the inputs to a source. I'm sure the manual should be able to tell you if that is possible. If not, simply connect the DVD player to the CD input and select CD. Audio is audio! I haven't used the converters but haven't heard of anyone noticing any drop in quality so I wouldn't worry there.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom