1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable separation

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by lonny, Mar 25, 2003.

1. lonny

lonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello,

I am currently looking at chasing out the walls in my living room to hide cables behind. I am unclear about which cables can run safely together. Am I supposed to keep mains cables apart from all other cables? Can a subwoofer phone wire run through the same channel as a surround speaker wire?? Are there any general rules of thumb??

thanks,

Lonny.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Keep the low voltage (speaker cable, interconnects) away from the high voltage (240v mains). Suggested distance apart if running parallel is at least 12". They can cross at 90 degrees though.

Gordon

3. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope I'm not jumping your thread Lonny but I've a question for Gordon on the same topic.

Unfortunately due to a lack of sockets I have to run my power cables parallel to my speaker cable along the ground - no chance of a 12" gap or chasing out some conduit either I'm afraid.

However, I do use Kimber power cables (Yello and Powerkords), I'm assuming it's RFI we're worried about here, or are there other reasons why power leads should be kept away from delicate signals.

Cheers

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    EMI is the main problem with mains cables I think. Getting an induced 50hz AC signal onto your interconnects or speaker cables is not what you want. Shielded cables will help reduce this effect.

5. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah...forgot about that, nice one ReTRo. :smashin:

The 'problem' however is not my interconnects but the speaker cable. I use Chord Rumour to my front speakers which is clearly not shielded but is very nice :D , come to think of it I can't think of any shielded speaker cables, anybody else think of any?

6. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Shielding the mains cables would be a better solution, I'd think - less of it!

7. BadCamper

BadCamper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People may wonder why I lurk around a British A/V forum, though I guess I feel much more at home here.

After reading this thread on a North American based A/V forum, Hiding Speaker Wire? (specifically taking note of what the moderator reccomended to the questioner), I begin to wonder what other substitutions have been reccomended.

I remember when I was 12-13 years old, and I inherited my first 2nd hand amp and speakers, I saved up my money and went to the store to buy some speaker wire. Even though I'm sure I could have spliced up an extension cord for temporary use, I knew better than that!