Cable running snag

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Riley117, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Riley117

Riley117
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm am in the process of running my av cables into a plaster board faced breese block wall. All the channelling etc was going fine until I ran into a gas pipe right in the middle of my path. The pipe was untouched but now puts up a road block for my run.

I intend to use trunking so that I can run new cables in the future.

I have attached a pic to show my problem more clearly

Can anyone offer a solution to this? image.jpg

2. Geps

Geps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Drill out the block behind the pipe so you can then run the cables under it. If you put slots in the trunking you should be able to keep it to a single length of trunking meaning you can just push the cables straight through.

Needless to say be extremely careful when drilling that close to a gas pipe. It would be wise to fix blocks of wood either side and to the wall, so the pipe will never be placed under any sort of pressure.

Please read up on wiring safe zones as well, as that looks like a 45 degree run which typically falls foul of the safe zones (as people go point to point).

Final point, if you're not already then it's worth chasing into the block work anyway as you need a good few mm of plaster on the trunking to stop it cracking and you may find you haven't got the required depth.....

3. Riley117

Riley117
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks geps for your advice, I was toying between this and capping the unneeded gas pipe( by a qualified gas fitter of course). I am aware of the 45 deg issue, and although many will disagree including regulatory bodies! it gave me the cleanest run so I went with it. It is my forever home and there will no power in the channels so worst case is if in my old age in years to come, I forget and decide to hang a picture at 4ft, I may well loose my tv signal!

Still worrying about the ease of future cables, so leaning towards the capping, but it's still undecided! Thanks for advice again, I will post the results in due course