Question cable receiver box

Xpl0d

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I need help choosing a receiver box.

I have a LG 50pk750 plasma bought in the USA that I brought to Portugal. My building receives the basic channels through a cable provider, and not a DTV antenna.

My TV cannot receive the channels, I tried a TV from a family member and it worked fine. I can only find DTV boxes that cannot find this signal either.

Can someone recommend a box that has the same tuner as a TV that would work?

Thanks.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
That you. I'll look into those boxes.

Please consider you are looking at a cable box that outputs PAL. You have a TV that wants NTSC.
Maybe, but probably not, the cable box can be switched to NTSC.
Maybe, but probably not, the TV will accept PAL.

You may need one of these as well:

PAL to NTSC NTSC to PAL Signal Converter Adapter RCA Phono CVBS TV Video AV | eBay

If it is an HD set with HDMI look for an HD cable box and possibly one of these:

OREI XD - 990 PAL HDMI/RCA to NTSC HDMI 50: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just found the TV on line. It is HD NTSC/ATSC and it appears not to work with 50Hz signals:
  • 1080p Source Input HDMI™: 60p/30p/24p, Component: 60p/30p/24p, RGB: 60p (WXGA)

So you will need a standards converter.

I was just going to post a link for the TV.

So you think I can just get the converter, or I will need a box as well? I'm wondering about just a converter since the TV would tune the channels if it was a portuguese model.

You will need a DVB-C box as well. There is no way to get the tuned channels out of the TV (if it will tune them) to go through the converter.

If I use this box with hdmi, I shouldn't need the converter right? The TV would just be a monitor. ebay.co.uk/itm/281490779425?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

If I use this box with hdmi, I shouldn't need the converter right? The TV would just be a monitor. ebay.co.uk/itm/281490779425?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

As I said earlier the TV does not appear to operate on 50Hz signals.
  • 1080p Source Input HDMI™: 60p/30p/24p, Component: 60p/30p/24p, RGB: 60p (WXGA)
In which case you WILL need the converter.
But try it first without in case the specs are not complete.

As said you may be lucky and the TV does support 50Hz signals and it was just that USA TV does not use it so they did not list it.

However if you need to do frame rate conversion then you will get judder as the converter repeats some frames to convert from 50 frames per second to 60 frames per second. This may be fine on some programs, but fast moving programs such as sport will look really poor with the picture jumping a bit as the camera pans etc.

Mark.

Does the tv accept 220v 50hz? I'm just concerned, so you don't just stick a euro plug on it and end up with a new fireplace.

USA operates at 110v and it's not always so simple as swapping the cable, particularly if the model was never designed to ship outside US.

The USA operates at 120v actually, but he has already had it connected as he said it can not receive channels so we can assume this problem is solved.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom