1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable Quality

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by nikyzf, Jun 15, 2004.

1. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need an S-Video to SCART lead and wonder just how much to spend. I'm willing to spend more for better quality but wonder if the extra cost just goes into packaging and finish rather than performance. The SCART is inherently a poor connector so does that make plug quality more important, or conversely, irrelevant (assuming good basic construction of course).

I'm connecting an Arcam DV79 to a Sony KV-29F1. The Sony has RGB on one SCART and S-Video on the other. I can see no difference between the "normal" AV connection and RGB when connected SCART-to-SCART but the S-Video connection into the front of the TV using the DIN lead that came with my camcorder definitely looks sharper. Therefore, I plan to get a lead to connect the DV79's S-Video DIN and audio phonos to the TV's S-Video SCART.

Looking at Ixos and QED, I can spend less than £20 or several times that. Any thoughts?

And yes, I have read Beekeepers excellent post on cables. :)

2. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping that someone would have a view on this, whether it's "you get what you pay for" or "expensive cables are a con for the gullible who believe reviews", for example.

Anyone?

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think there's a balance to be had. Expensive cables are usually good but good cables don't have to be expensive.

The main point I always look for and recommend when choosing cables is build quality. If the cable looks well put together with good quality terminations then it probably is and you won't be disappointed with it. The level of build quality then comes down to your budget. A model by Thor, Ixos or Profigold would probably be fine.

4. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, you have confirmed my opinion. I have the feeling that the very cheapest in a range might involve too much corner-cutting and that the next one up will give a worthwhile quality improvement for reasonable cost. In this particular case, I'm going for the Ixos XHT501.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sounds about right to me. Spend ~£30 and you'll have a good enough cable.

Make sure the cable goes in the right direction though - in your case I think it's S-Video -> Scart as they're different. :thumbsup:

6. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that's right, S-Video + 2 phono -> SCART :eek:)

(The 2 audio phonos are just for completeness as normally I'd just use the direct audio feed to my preamp and have the TV sound off).

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Makes sense, it makes the cable more flexible for any future applications :)