Cable protection in wall

theclaretvillai

Standard Member
Reaction score
I want to sink my TV wires in the wall under plaster. probably 2 HDMI, 1 usb, 2 CAT. I'd like to be able to change them if something goes wrong. Its a straight run, about 3m. What is the best type of cabling protection/trunking to use? Can you suggest a suitable width and depth?
Also what type would you use if its not a straight run?
Finally (for now) when running speaker cables under plaster do they need trunking or just channel and plaster over.
Thanks in advance, Ken.

You could use conduit, but with the size of the HDMI ends that might be impractical; you'd probably have to use 32mm conduit, which would be very difficult to sink into the wall.

I would suggest just burying the HDMI directly under the plaster, and run a few spare Cat6 for redundancy. You could use oval conduit also if you want to be able to drop some smaller cables down the wall in the future.

You can just plaster directly over the cables. You could use PVC or steel capping, but it's not really necessary, and the PVC stuff does nothing to protect the cable anyway.

Dan.

Personally I'd much prefer to be able to add or remove cables at a later date. Granted its a lot more work initially but worth it for peace of mind. HDMI cables are fragile plus standards change and say you want to add a cable that a Cat6 solution isn't readily available for? Xbox Kinect for example. I've used 30x40mm mini trunking for straight runs and 40mm flexible conduit for when I need to go around corners.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom