Cable Problem

P

paulcl

Could anyone recommend a solution to a cable problem which has developed with my home cinema?
Briefly, my set-up consists of several components (satellite, video recorder, cd player, pc, dvd x 2), linked to a projector and speakers through a Lexicon DC2. The video outputs are connected to the Lexicon by S Video cables (with the exception of one DVD player which is connected directly to the projector via a component cable) and there is a single S Video output from the Lexicon to the projector. The units are housed in a separate room and the component cable and S Video cable to the projector are built into the walls and ceiling.
A fault has developed with the S Video cable and it's output is now monochrome. I would like to achieve a solution to this problem without resorting to rebuilding and decorating! With this in mind, is there any piece of kit that I could add that would take the S Video output from the Lexicon and the component output from the DVD player and feed a single component output to the projector using the existing "built in" component cable, bypassing the faulty S Video cable?

Any suggestions very gratefully received!

Paul

Paulcl

Have you considered having the S-Video cable re-terminated - in my experience its most likely the ends of the cable rather than the middle of the cable that will have the problem.

Also have you tested the source and display kit S-Video Inputs/Outputs to ensure its not a problem within the hardware.

Best regards

Joe

Thank you for the reply. It is definitely a problem with the cable. I have tried running a new cable "the long way around" and it works fine. (Unfortunately it's not practical to leave this cable there.) I have also had both ends of the faulty cable re-terminated. Sorry that I didn't make this clear in my original post.

The other weird thing is that the "faulty" cable randomly works for about half an hour at a time. This lulled me into a false sense of victory when the ends were re-terminated. There is some slack in the cable at the Lexicon end. I suppose I ought to cut that off and re-terminate before panicking further.

Thanks again

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom