Cable of 1Gb cat 6e limited to 100mb - only one connection

melamoud

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have dream machine pro router with 8 GB ports, I recently got someone to wire my house, , I bought cat6e cacle 500ft, and he wired many points in my house with the same cable, one point for some reason is limited to 100mb, all the rest are 1Gb
it does not matter what port on the router I connect that specific point, the other side can only do 100MB (same laptop to do the test, in a port near by (same plate) it does 1Gb)

can it be the cable (that piece that was cut from the 500sqft) ? I hope not,
can it be the termination points ? (easier to replace than the cable)

the fact that it is 100MB is strange to me, if it was just 300 or some other number I could say its maybe noise on the cable, or something,

is there any mechanism in the router / client that if there are problems on a Gb line it reduce it to 100 ? cable or termination point ?

any chance that the termination point is limited to 100Mb ?

Thanks

If you are only seeing 100 Meg it is an indication that that lobe is mis-wired. 100Mb needs 4 conductors, Gigabit needs all 8. I would suggest a basic continuity test on all 8 conductors. It is most likely that 1 or more will show a fault, hence your limited speed.

There's no such thing as "cat6e" - is that a typo or has someone sold you bogus cable...? Sometimes it's "Copper Clad Aluminum" (CCA) which isn't allowed in the "cat" standards and is rubbish being spun using a fake sciency sounding name.

And yes, most kit that is 10/100/1000 capable will automatically step down to 100mbps operation if it cannot bring up a lobe at 1000mbps. It depends on which wire(s) in the cable are broken or not properly terminated, but if the "right" set of conductors are present and working, then most kit will bring up the link at 100mbps if it can.

I concur with Mushii - sounds like you have a mis-wired lobe.

Poor termination is usually the biggest culprit - if you haven't got a tester, you could try a visual check and look to see that the wires are punched right down to the bottom of the blocks - if you haven't got the tool quite square when you punched, it can sometime "feel" like it punched OK, but in fact the wire has not traveled far enough for the "V" knives in the block to bite through the sheathing and into the metal. You might "fix" it by re-punching the affected block. If that doesn't work and there's enough slack on the cable, you could de-wire it, cut the cable back a tad and try again. And of course, check the pin outs while you're at it. It's really easy to have it all laid out nice, then only when you put the tester on it you find a split or crossed pair of some such.

Last edited:
thinking about re-terminate , if does not work, rewire.

As mickevh states above, there is no such cable as Cat6e, it’s either Cat6 or Cat6a. The specs to the cable you linked to are a selection of items from Cat6, Cat6a & Cat7, so I personally would not trust it to perform to anything like the standards suggested.
You could try a claim against Amazon for mid-sold/fake/counterfeit cable and see if they will refund.
If you choose to replace the cable then get some “proper” Cat6 (or evening Cat5e if you only ever need gigabit speeds) from a trusted vendor.

As it does not meet any standards it should not be sold as Cat-anything, hence why I suggest it is being mid-sold, and why it would always be avoided by anyone with a background working in home or commercial network design/installation. You’ve no way of confirming their claims on the performance of the cable so they could literally make anything up. If it’s fully Cat6 compliant then why not just sell it as suck? To do anything else is dodgy practice which then introduces doubt about any of their claims. If & when it does not perform as required you are left wondering if it’s the cable or the installation at fault. With all that said I cannot see it failing to operate as a gigabit-speed ethernet connection as Cat5e would easily achieve this - you normally have to make some pretty major mistakes in installation and/or termination to stop it working.

The correct classification is Cat6a.
It is worth noting the wire diameter varies between the grades so you need to use Cat6a connectors, sockets etc.
The plug and socket dimensions are RJ45 so once the cable has been terminated they are interchangeable.

Well not wanting to argue with my learned colleagues here but, before the Cat6a standard was ratified you could and I did buy Cat6e cable, from Comms Express manufactured by Excel (a reputable manufacturer). It was basically like Cat5 with a thin waveguide in the centre. I used it for CCTV installs. It’s much thinner and more flexible than 6a.

I do agree though that it should no longer be sold as the standard was never ratified by TIA.

You beat me to it. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom