1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable management

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Amar, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Amar

Amar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Does any one have any good ideas on how to run cables neatly without running them under the carpets.
    I'm moving home in about a year so I can't put the cables under the carpets but now they look just plain ugly. It ruins the whole look of my room and meks my system look very amatuer.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :lease:

2. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    2 i'd suggest are related to the skirting.

1 if your putting down wooden floors, it's a good time to remove the skirting and you can router a trench in the back side of the skirting to run cables, so once the floor is in you put the cables in the trench and put the skirting back on the wall.

2 (i've done this option) you can buy plastic skirting which is actually trunking, and fix this to existing skirting (pros and cons to this if your doing a whole room but i only needed to do 1 corner). It's skirting shaped but the front pulls of to reveal (usually) 3 tiers you can put cable on. so you can run power, speaker and other cable separately in it.

If interested i'll post a pic of mine with and without the cover, just let me know and i'll take it when i get home from work later.

Here is a link to skirting trunking to give you an idea (ps i got mine in B&Q, €12 for 6 feet length)

http://www.mayflex.com/mayflexcatal...OM-DADO-SKIRTING-TRUNKING-AND-ACCESSORIES.htm

3. Amar

Amar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the tip. Is the trunking a permanent solution? I'm living with my parents at the moment and will be moving in to my own place within the next year. I'm going to need to take the cables with me.
    I'll have a look at what B&Q can do for me over the weekend.

4. DTSMAN1959

DTSMAN1959

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can you run speaker cables under the floorboards? without taking all the floorboards up?

Thanks

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    dtsman you would only need to take up one (hopefully), depending upon direction of joists of course!