1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable management

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Tracey, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of any way to hide or at least 'manage' all the cable that go's with having a home cinema set up. I've got my
    hi-fi 5 metres away from my tv/video/speakers which means I have a scart cable, sub interconnect, three lots of speaker cable (front and centre) etc. that have to be connected to each other. it's alot of cable. My problem is I'm moving into a new house in the near future and I'd like a laid wooden floor, but what can I do with all these cables if I can't hide them under the carpet? Do any h-fi retailers sell any accessories that might help, what can I do?

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    u can buy these tubes that all the cables go into so that they dont dangle around the place and so u only have one thing round the back. This can then be painted to blend with the suroundings, a cheap way of doing this is to get an old hoover pipe thing, u know the bendy cable, and use this.

Also put cables under the floor boards if you can, or as I have in part of my room, behind the skirting board which can be removed in meter sections to get to the cable behind

3. logiclee

logiclee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Try your local electricl supplies shop, I have trunking used in large electrical cubicles which can be cut to length and cables layed in. Usually available in all sizes but only in black or white. Have a look at http://rswww.com and search for trunking to give you an idea of whats available.

ps. rs are expensive so buy elsewhere.

Cheers
    Lee

------------------
    There is no spoon!

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with my hi-fi on one side of a chimney breat and the TV/Video/DVD close to the other. I intend to drill a 32mm hole one each side of the brest and put in a UPVC tube (£3 form B&Q). This means all calbes take a short direct route and are hidden from view. The tube keeps all cables together and makes life easier passing then though the chimney.

5. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The B&Q plastic trunking is pretty good. You can buy a self adhesive version which makes it very easy to fix to skirting boards and around door frames (if they're white). I've routed all my rear cabling using this stuff and no-one has noticed it yet (unless they don't want to say). Also, B&Q sell a wide range of 'couplers' which enable you to make tidy corner/bend joints.

Hope this helps. Good luck

6. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks to everyone for the ideas, I think the trunking sounds like the best bet, or maybe some false skirting board. I'll let you know if I can come up with any other solutions.

Cheers

Tracey [​IMG]

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to IKEA and see the Montera cabel collector, it runs 250cm. and only cost 2.5 pounds/30 danish krones.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MartH, make sure you don't light your fire as it could prove a costly mistake!

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx- Already thought of that. The tube will be at floor level and right at the back where the heat is at its lowest. The Heat exchanger is higher and has a space, the flue about 2 feet up. I have already had a single cable from the VCR to the amp for about 2 years, when I pulled it out, it was just dusty. i.e. No heat indications. So its a goer for me. (Just gotta do it!!)