1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable lengths

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by RATMARK, May 7, 2002.

1. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im due to move house soon and will need to place my a/v rack some way away from the tv, approx 15/20 foot of cable run
    I would be able to sight my dvd next to the tv Question is ?
    would it be best to
    A. Place all equiptment on the av rack and run an extended scart to tv,keeping digital and analog sound cable to a minimum,
    B.Place the dvd next to the tv ,keeping the scart to a minimum length,and running extended digital / analog cables back to the a/v rack?
    Any recommendations on either and what cables to buy to keep any full of in quality to a minimum,Obviosly all the gear on the rack would be the best,but im worried a long run of scart my effect colour or my bank balance

Rear speakers
    these will need runs of approx 35 foot You know along the floor /skirting boards and up the walls
    ive looked at ixos cables for this and also for the rear center channel

The romm is 22 feet wide and 19 feet long hence the cable legths !

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Your stuck between a rock & a hard place here!!

You can get long Scart cables but the better ones are going to start costing you a lot of money for long lengths, trouble is the same applies for the digital cables.

Bog standard Coaxial cable can be got in long lengths. Optical tends to be in 1M lengths. Better Coaxial cables seem to be available in 1M lengths as well.

Personally, I´d keep the digital & audio cables as short as possible and get the longer Scart lead keeping everything neat & tidy in the rack.

Might be worth having a look at

www.qed.co.uk see if they can make a longer scart lead up for you.

I´ve got a Chord RGB scart, available here

www.chord.co.uk but its bloody expensive, 1.5M around 130 quid but every extra 1m is about a tenner.

Both sites have speaker cables etc as well.

cheers

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you are only talking DVD + amp and TV here I would put the DVD close to the TV and just run one digtial connection to the amp, thus minimizing the cabling and avoiding SCART wiring through the house.

You can make a coaxial cable yourself very cheaply if you are handy with a soldering iron: SAT cable (75 Ohm) in the required length and two RCA/phono connectors from an electronic shop will do the trick.