1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable length - media receiver to screen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Brogan, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Is there a standard cable supplied with a Pio PDP504HDE for connection from the media receiver to the screen?

If so, what length is it?

Is it worth upgrading this cable for a better quality one or is the supplied cable good enough?

Seems a bit pointless installing high quality audio and video cables for all other equipment if the last leg to the screen has a rubbish cable.

TIA

2. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Supplied cable 3 metres. Optional cable 10 metres. There is no other supplier of these cables I know of at this time.

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks Zor.
    I found out the length of the standard cable from the operating instructions after I posted.
    10 metres is a big jump though and way over what I need.
    I'm sure I found a 7 metre cable (PDA-H02) earlier this evening on Pioneers' website but I can't find it now...:confused:

Edit: PDA-H02 results in loads of hits from Google for 7m cables but none from the Pioneer website so I guess these are aftermarket (around £140).

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,472
    Brogan

The 04 HDE models are, as you've spotted, supplied with a 3.5m 'Twin Head' cable that carries video, audio and comms.

There are two optional (extra cost) replacement cables (Pioneer confusingly list these as extension cables when in fact they are not 'extensions').

PDA-H03/WL - 10.0m 'Twin Head' at around £190.

PDA-H04/WL - 30.0m 'Fibre Optic' cable system at around £675.

The PDA-H02 is a 7.0m 'Twin Head' cable for use with the 03 HDE systems.

I'm told the internal wiring of the comms/audio cable that makes up part of the Twin Head cable is such that the 03 and 04 cables are not interchangeable.

On the 03 HDE the video portion of the signal is carried over a non standard DVI connection between the R03 Media Receiver and the screen and you can replace that portion of the twin head cable with a 'branded' DVI cable - I have tried this and must say I was hard pushed to note any difference in picture quality.

Best regards

Joe

5. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Joe,

Thanks for the clarification on the PDA-H02 and the feedback on quality with a replacement cable.

Seems a shame that Pioneer changed the pinouts as 7m would have been just about right.
    Still, I suppose a 10m cable allows for any changes in the future with regards to layout/moving house, etc and at £190 it's a bargain...:rolleyes: ;)