1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable length in projector setup

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gillra, Jan 19, 2004.

1. gillra

gillra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to setup a projector in my room very soon. The room is a good size - 5m X 5m.

My questions is - if I put my equipment at the frotn of the room and my projector (obviously) at the rear, is there any issues with the speaker length that I will have to run over that distance?

What type of speakers lengths is everyone else using. I take it they are component and S-Video cables?

Also, has anyone hooked up a projetor with a DVI cable yet and does this make any difference?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    unless you are using pretty good speakers and amps, chances are you wont be bothered by the length. I have run 5m previously on the end of very good amps and speakers and cant really claim to notice any difference.

You asked what length of cables everyone is using then went on to say you 'take it that they are using component and svideo cables'...... im not entirely sure what you mean by this?

Lots of us have used dvi, but it is something you need to be very careful on length. Under 5m is really the only way to go, beyond that you are starting to play the lottery as to the results. Most people will report dvi as better, of course thats likely due to their using native res dvi as opposed to non native component/svideo

ad

3. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I think I've read you can go to 8.5m with a good quality DVI cable. 10m is the absolute maximum.

No such problems with S-Video and component cables - you can easily run to 10m (or over) with quality cables.

4. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Lindy 10m DVI cable is known to work in most installations, but it depends on the source and PJ having good enough signal strength and reception sensitivity (sp:)).

Works okay between my A11 and HS20 at 720p and with my PC at HS20 native res.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As i say, lottery above 5m. Will work in MOST situations but not all. I was advised that even at 5m I should pay for a good cable, but i refused to pay 0„5300 for a bit of wire on a 0„51200 machine!

if hdmi is an option i gather it is slightly more flexible wrt length

ad

6. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have gone about 75 metre with a DVI connection admittedly it was from a PC but it was running 1280x1024 @60 Hz, and last week I ran a DVI signal 25m but this time it was running 1280x1024@96Hz.

You can go up to 800m with a DVI connector, they have optical extenders integrated into them and tend to be a bit pricy but it saves messing about with input balances, and video timings etc...

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :eek: even with the repeaters...... this is enormously beyond the spec! I'll take your word though cos I cant afford an 800m cable!

ad

8. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ive run a vga cable 45meters without repeaters and there was no noticable difference. It only cost me £35 aswell, it was a special deal from ebuyer.com (powered by pc by the way)

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i can almost guarantee you could measure the voltage drop across a 45 meter vga cable. You may simply not notice if you were clipping whites in the first place.

ad

10. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i was not convinced about buying it but i thought i might as well give it a go and i definitely cant see any difference between that and my 2m vga cable that came with the diamondpro monitor.

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well i guess thats what counts...... theory doesnt necessarily agree in all instances

ad