Cable issues

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by themediaman, Feb 20, 2013.

1. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Been getting write speeds of 3.5MB/s on my ReadyNAS for a while now and I believe it might be down to the cable.......

I currently have wires going through walls at the moment, so I will be replacing the cable as soon as practically possible....

What are the typical defects that can occur with network cables that could give me these symptoms....?

The NAS, PC and Router are all Gig ready and jumbo frames capable........I have also tried a factory reset of the NAS and router but still have these slow speeds...

Any thoughts.......

Thanks in advance........:smashin:

2. maddogb

maddogb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    most common problem i seem to come across is where unshielded cable is used and electrical work later on has put a mains cable too close ;)

3. dibdab

dibdab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi, Have you tested with a different network cable to make sure it is the cable at fault?

4. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I have not tested yet, purely because of the fact its through a wall and I need to move some things around my living room, but the plan is to do it this weekend......

I take it the unshielded cable is a lot more flexible than shielded, if this is the case, then my NAS is using unshielded.....

When I first moved my NAS through the wall the speeds were good. I take it damage to the cable could of happened after this, say if there was some electrical interference from cabling in the wall....

Thanks for your thoughts so far guys......:thumbsup:

5. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    How full is your NAS..? It's not unknown for disc write performance to fall off as they fill up, especially if the free space on the platters is fragmented.

You could try sticking something "known good" on the end of your suspect cable (such as a laptop) and see if that performs any better or worse. If you've got a couple of Windows PC's availaible, you can use tools such as NetIO of iPerf to test performance.

It's really unusual for cables to "go bad" - dirty connectors is usually the bigggest culprit. Cable failures tend to be instant and catastrophic rather than gradual decline.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    I have to say that it is doubtful this is a cable fault.

7. Captaingadget

Captaingadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I agree, I doubt it's a cable fault so here's what worked for me. I was getting poor throughput from my readyNAS, about the same as you're getting, so I changed the computer Network interface from Auto Negotiate to fixed, i.e. 1Gb Full Duplex. I now get about 250Mb/S, which is about the max you can expect from this little box.

8. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    Also be aware that jumbo frames can be a whole heap of misery.

But if you haven't changed anything and it was all ok, that is unlikely to be the source of your current issue.

Graham

9. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    It was half full when I started having problems, I then done a factory reset, so there was nothing on it ans I was still getting the 3.5MB/s......

I haven't got another windows device at the moment, but I could get one......

So it might sound like a configuration problem........?

The drives arent the most expensive, a couple of seagate green models, I wouldn't suspect them to be the problem as all diagnosticS say there OK

10. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I know the NAS is configured to 1Gb Full Duplex, and I am quite sure my NIC is also set up this way too.....

I don't think I even got 250, but I was happy with the speeds.......

Do you think the router could be at fault, I have a DLINK DIR655

11. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I have basic understanding of Jumbo frames, all my devices in the loop supported so I set it to the max MTU, I didn't notice a difference either way however....

What misery has it the potential to cause.....?

12. dibdab

dibdab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    What firmware are you running on it and have you set it up like in this article? I assume it is the version 1 readynas duo. Can you move the duo next to the router and connect it directly to that?

The Definitive Guide to the ReadyNAS Duo : NETGEAR ReadyNAS Community

Turn off jumbo frames on all your computers, just to see if thats the problem, i didn't find it made a difference to my setup so left it off.

13. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    Failure to load the setup page. Everyone's setup is different, so additional complexity may introduce more issues. Things like a managed switch, ethernet teaming etc.

As dibdab advises, best to turn it off until you have a sound system and only reintroduce it, so you can ascertain there is an improvement.

Graham

14. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    There's not much evidence to say one way or the other thus far.

A cable fault can in some very specific circumstances manifest as a performance problem. However, it's sufficiently unlikely to happen that we tend to suspect "other" things first. So we cannot say with absolute certainty that this is not an issue with a cable, but it's so unlikely that we'd want to investigate a whole load of other things first. This is why everyone is tending to discount a cabling issue. Ethernet is generally pretty reliable - it tends to either work or it doesn't. It's really rare for it to be "working, but slowly."

15. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Cable faults will give you CRC, FCS or input errors on the NICs at each end. If you can find the stats/errors info then you can check this. These errors mean that the Ethernet frames need to be resent which can cause delays.

A simple test would be to stick two PCs at each end and run iperf. This will show you how fast data can be sent between the two devices. On a 100Mb link it would usually be 85Mbps+.