1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cable issue

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by me_too, Jul 5, 2003.

1. me_too

me_too

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    o.k this is probably not the correct place to put this question but can seem to find anywhere else to put it.
    my problem is this. i have a sony vaio laptop and i want to be able to connect the AV out to a reciever. sony with all of there wisdom have decided to have a AV output using a 3.5mm mini jack! my problem is is that i need to find a cable that is able to take this 3.5mm AV out and connect to RCA left, right and video. the problem come when i realise that in fact there needs to be four connections on the jack (i assume) as you need left, right, video and ground. if anyone has any ideas about this i would be very grateful, also if anyone has any idea of the outputs of the 3.5 jack i could easily make this cable.
    i know this isn't to clear but if you have a look at the user manual here

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/Notebooks/GR/GR200/GR200_H_UK.pdf

on page 65 it might help you understand what i am talking about!
    cheers
    ME

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. me_too

me_too

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah it has usb!
    that looks really cool, where can you get them from other than ebay?
    though i still have the problem with video :(
    cheers
    Me

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one USB sound box from Cooltronix- good trader, arrived in about 4 days. About £24 all-in (postage) didn't get done by customs.

I you want one that outputs DD/DTS check here (£75 though) Xitel Pro... I didn't want to spend that much.

http://www.discountdiscs.co.uk

Can't help about the proprietary Sony video output... my lappy has S-Video out.

5. me_too

me_too

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well if i get one of those simple stereo usb digital devices then i can just sort out a cable that will solely carry the video from this weird 3.5 jack to a RCA connector. now its just a question of finding out which connector is which in the 3.5 female jack. making cable, my favorate past time!

S-Video, that would be so simple. git!
    cheers
    Me

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a Plasma or Projector could you use the VGA output? that'll be alot better than (Composite?) from the proprietary Sony video output.

btw, drivers for that USB sound box are included within Windows 2000 & XP.. you don't need to find drivers for it. To use the sound box, go into control panel, sound, audio and select preferred playback to the USB sound box.

7. me_too

me_too

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    e-mailed sony about it this is there reply

Dear ####,

Thank you for contacting us. To connect your VAIO to a television, you indeed need an A/V cable with a 3.5 mm mini-jack plug on the VAIO's side and three RCA plugs (red, white, yellow) on the television's side. You will find such a cable in any television or video shop, as it is the same kind of cable which is used to connect many camera types to a television. Unfortunately, we cannot recommend any specific retailer as we do not have a list and we are not a sales channel.

still doens't make it any clearer! looking on maplin as last resort and can't find anything. anybody got any suggestions as this must be a simple cable to find!
    cheers
    Me