1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable Installation

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by xraybloke, Jul 30, 2002.

1. xraybloke

xraybloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A beginner writes...

Am renovating an old cottage, and installing a cinema room. I've already decided on an Ellie projector, but as I want to run all the wires under the plaster/soundproofing, I contacted Ellie to see which cables need to run from the source to the projector.

Their answer was an s-video and a composite lead. Now I want to run the leads under the plaster to a socket at each end, so I can plug the source and the projector into them (ie I don't want the pre-made cable with plugs attached). I've found the s-video cable and the surface mount sockets, but which cable and surface mount sockets do I need for the composite video?

The speaker wiring is also doing my head in - I didn't realise there were so many different makes and price ranges! Does anyone have experience with a sub-£3 a metre wiring that they would recommend? My room will be 14 foot square (well - 13 foot after the soundproofing has gone in) for an idea of cable lengths.

Cheers!

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was going to do this, I'd make sure I put in some cable for component video and/or RGB at the same time - you may not need it now, but in a few years time......
    On the same note, I'd be putting in speaker cable runs for the two surround back channels too, even if you don't intend to use them yet. If you are into biwiring, then that of course doubles the amount of speaker cable you'll need - not really convinced of the benefits myself, but just thought I'd mention it.

As for speaker cable, well the debate will run and run on that one I'm afraid. My opinion is that for the most part, it's a bit of a rip-off, a triumph of marketing and myth.
    Others disagree, so you'll have to make your own mind up really

Personally I'd be inclined to use Puresonic 7845 from CPC - including VAT, it works out at about £1.40/m give or take and is available in 5m, 10m or 100m lengths.
    (it's a spaced conductor, figure-8 OFC design, 12AWG(3.4mmsq) - 301 strand wire - should be substantial enough so that it doesn't get too warm in use (depends on the current you are shoving down it of course), which can be an issue if you are burying cables.

They also do wall plates with speaker fittings (GP binding/banana posts) on them - designed to fit straight onto a standard single gang wall box (eg light switch etc) - c£2.50 each for the two post, £3.50 for the 4post. Heavy duty GP banana plugs are £1 each.

HTH!

3. xraybloke

xraybloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike-

Thanks for the info - I hadn't thought about the RGB and component leads but you're right - for what it's going to cost I may as well install them now just in case.

That cable sounds about the price I was looking for - I'm also going to wire in a centre back channel as well for future use.

Cheers!:cool:

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Avoid using wall mounted speaker sockets if you can. Any unessacery joins in the speaker cables will compromise the sound quality. The best solution is to use blank plates on the wall with a hole in for the speaker cables.

It would be best to run direct cables from your equipment to the Ellie also for the same reasons.

Suggestion for speaker cable, try QED Original at £2.50m, probably the best budget cable you can get.