1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cable install

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by sirata, Jun 11, 2005.

1. sirata

sirata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    i am at the stage of putting cables up to the proposed projector posistion on the ceiling (perhaps z3,ae700 )
    the run is about 5m. i was thinking of svhs, hdmi and a component cable.
    but with hd dvd and sky hd around the corner will this be sufficient.
    i presume hd dvd and sky hd will both be hdmi and the z3 only having one hdmi input,how can i get around this, do switchers exist.
    Then we have ps3 and xbox 360, does anybody know what connections these need ?

I also have included a keene ir extender to control the components in the av cabinet at the rear, how sesitive are pjs to remote commands, do you have to point the remote up towards the ceiling,or should i stick an ir emitter upthere as well

Dave

2. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Projectors usually have very sensitive IR receivers. If you point the remote at the screen the signal will reflect back to the projectors IR receiver.

The cabling you have suggested is fine.
    Just for completeness and lowest common denominator connections, I would also install a composite video cable.

By the time you need more than one HDMI input there will almost certainly be affordable AV amplifiers with HDMI switching. You can already get switching with Marantz SR8500 (DVI), and both Denon and Yamaha have just anounced new amplifiers with HDMI switching. At the moment all of these are around the £1000 mark but I'm sure in a year or so you will find amps for around half of this with HDMI switching.
    There are HDMI and DVI switchers available now. Expect to pay around £300 for one of these.

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +928
    On my Z2 i have to point the control at the pj to get it to work, this could be the batteries are on their way out. I think they are the original ones and i have had them for a year and a half now.
    As for leads i did put two dvi leads into the ceiling on the assumption that i would use one for hcpc (which i do) and one for xbox 360 or ps3.
    The point about the amps is very good news if you also want to upgrade your amp when these come out.