Cable help - PICS Inside

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by gazhowell, Oct 14, 2003.

1. gazhowell

gazhowell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right, not to hot on home electrics and wiring, but I've had an idea on how to get cable tv up in my bedroom and was wondering if it'll work or not.

The cable tv comes through the cable wire and hence I no longer need to use the aerial socket on the wall that connects to the big aerial on the roof.

Now, I am assuming that the aerial socket on the wall connects to a big circuit that supplies all the other sockets in the house and also connects to the main roof aerial, so what would happen if I connected the rf out of my cable box to the aerial socket on the wall?? Would this mean that I could then plug my tv into the aerial socket in my bedroom and tune it in to find the cable tv signal??

Would it mess up the system somehow and break it, or would it make it so that you can no longer get normal tv from any of the sockets around the house?

EDIT - Someone on another forum suggested that all the wriing from the faceplates will come together in the loft, so if I put a booster in the loft, and disconnect it from the roof aerial I can driectly connect the faceplate downstairs with the faceplate in my bedroom.

The problem I though of is that when someone turns off the cable box downstairs then I won't be able to get any tv upstairs at all, so ideally what I want to happen is have normal terrestial tv on channels 1-5 and have cable tuned in channel 6. To do this then I need a way of pumping both signals down the wire to my room. Does anyone know a way of doing this???

I have found these devices, but they are splitters and I suppose I technically need a "combiner". Do they exist or can I just use a splitter backwards?
    The second one is just a normal y shaped one you can get from pratically any electrical shop, so surely this is bi-directional?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gazhowell

gazhowell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right, as a follow up to this, someone has told me that you can't combine two different feeds and send them down the same line, but I've seen this thing in Maplins (Code YQ23A) and the description says, "Surface mounting splitter that may also be used in reverse to combine two signals via the coax sockets onto one lead." Would this work?
    [​IMG]

3. gazhowell

gazhowell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    SORTED :clap: :clap:

To anyone who is interested it was all very simple in the end.

What I did was connect the rf out of my cable box to the aerial socket on the wall of the living room, and then connected that to the feed for my bedroom in the loft. All worked well and I had cable in my room (tuned it to channel 6).

Now the problem arose what I was expecting that I no longer could have channels 1-5, but all I did was get a simple Y shaped connector and plugged in both the cable and the normal tv to the prongs of the Y and my bedroom feed to the stem of the Y and it all works!!! :clap: :clap:

There is nothing better than when something works that you think is a long shot. :)