Cable help for NTL

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Dick Scratcher, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The composite picture from my Pace box is pretty crummy. Can anyone recommend a decent Scart-to-RGB (phono) lead? My TV is a 37" Panasonic plasma with an RCA terminal board.

I've seen a couple of cables with a fourth phono lead for sync, can I use one of these or will sync need to be on green? Terminal board has five component inputs as its HDTV compatible.

Help

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    What you need is any reasonable RGB fully wired scart lead, try QED or something like that, and in the 'TV guide' menu, choose tv screen options, then make sure the output is set to RGB, not composite. You now have to be wary that any other settings you change may reset this to composite....mine does whenever I reboot the STB, which as I have broadband is whenever I make any changes to the home network... You should notice the improvement, my TV is horrible but I can see it.

Ah, having actually read your post now, I see you need to spend some money! Go here http://www.rgbtosvideo.com./ and check out the toys, he has what you require, specially for plasmas. Don't forget to change your output to RGB though, or you'll just send the composite signal info...garbage in, garbage out!
    I assume your plasma has a VGA input also? If not, you're into custom lead territory I think, but you may still need the converter, John may have the lead on the RGB to plasma site, but I can't view the site for some reason at the moment.

3. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,

I may not have explained myself properly here. The Pace box only has RGB Scart, the plasma has an RGB input but it isn't Scart its phono connectors. Ideally I suppose I need a Scart plug at one end and 3 phono connectors at the other carrying R, G and B with presumably sync on green. I do have a VGA input.

What do you think?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The pace box needs it's rgb 'switched on' before it works, otherwise it's just composite. I have the feeling your input is component video there, not RGB, check, I'm often wrong! It's more usual on any plasma screen, and I've not ever seen an RGB input scart or otherwise, though it'd be marvellous if they did. In which case no simple lead will couple it up, it must be converted to something you have an input for. You should have a yellow single phono for composite, a mini din 4 pin for s-video, 3 phonos for component video and a vga 9-pin d-sub. That's also in ascending order of quality. Your best pic. is via a vga converter, next an RGB - S-video converter, as component converters are thin on the ground and expensive eg iscan £750. I don't think a lead from your NTL box is going to make it go any other way. I see it supports hdtv resolutions, but panasonic's site is not informative. I'm going mostly on what other plasmas do, I run a couple of 42" at work, that's how we put video on them, aside from PC connections. To run one at home via NTL box, I'd have to bring a converter too. As I say, you tend to find the picture goes as soon as you mess with the box, as it reverts to comosite output at the drop of a hat, hope you're not ino westerns then!

Panasonic list an RGB(PC) input for your device, unless it says otherwise in the handbook it's VGA in any flavour you like, but not TV.

5. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,

Got it. Panasonic list a Scart terminal board available for the 37" model, presumably its also available for the 42" and 50" versions. I got a component board which has HDTV inputs as well as s-video and regular composite.

I am intrigued by the VGA solution. I checked out rgbtosvideo.com and they do an RGB to plasma VGA converter, a little expensive but worth a look. In the compatibility chart it looks like all Panasonic plasma's get the best results from this beasty. This is an ideal solution for me as I can use the s-video inputs for dvd playback and the component inputs for my XBOX once I get the HDTV pack. Before you think I'm mad and got my dvd and XBOX priorities the wrong way round, I watch movies on a Sony VW11HT PJ, the plasma is in the bedroom so dvd picture quality isn't critical.

Many thanks for your help, I think I'll go for the VGA converter.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Good move, I think. I like them, as do several others here. As you say, it makes for a very clean, ordered setup if you have several inputs. Steady with the games while you're lying down!